Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Radiation late side effects....continued sore throat

Sally813
Posted by

Hi everyone. I am post radiation treatment for epiglottis cancer. I continue to have a sore throat at times. I know certain foods will make it sore for a while and I don't drink or smoke. Mine was caused by reflux. Do any of you still struggle with soreness? I use magic mouthwash which helps but I am more curious if this is normal.  And dryness especially at night. Any suggested products . 

Beesuit
Posted by

I am ten months post radio for back of tongue cancer. Practically one whole tonsil and my uvula with its associated salivary glands are shrivelled and I am aware that my throat is dry. This is especially annoying when I talk a lot. My saliva is improving and during the day there is little background dryness.

At night I mouthwash with sensodyne pronamel which instantly moisturises my mouth, apply a layer of GC fluoride mousse to my teeth and pop in a xylimelt on one side. That usually gets me through the night.