Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Mouth cancer surgery.

Keia
Posted by

Hello,

My uncle has been diagnosed with cancer on the soft palate of the roof of his mouth.

It is Stage 2 N0 M0 (not sure of the cancer type)

He spent 2 weeks going to various appointments and told it was going to be surgically remove. He wasn’t given an option the hospital just decided to remove it that way.

This week we just found out how involved the surgery is; could need teeth removed, soft palate reconstruction could reduce quality of life ect.

The surgeon had now decided to have him have an appointment with an oncologist so he can decide if he wants to have radiotherapy or the surgery. This appointment will take place next week and he wants to get as much information as possible

My uncle is planing on going to a head & neck support group to see if he can meet anyone who has undergone either treatment to find out their experiences.

Which leads me to why I am here, he dosen’t like computers so:

Does anyone here have experience with soft palate removal or cancer of the soft palate that would be willing to share their experiences?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Keia

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Keia

i am now 15 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer,I was T2N2NM which is tumour two to four cm 2 affected lymph nodes and no metastasis.The primary cancer of mine was in the right tonsil with spread to the sot palate and anterior wall of tonsil. I didn’t have the surgery option as one lymph node was located in an area that wasn’t easily operable so I was 35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 chemotherapy.

i am still suffering from lack of saliva , the treatment is hard the recovery period varies but in my case the outcome was good. My cancer was h p v 16+ which does help with the outcome. Head and neck cancers have come a long way in recent years. Best advise I can give is keep away from dr google there is a lot of false information on there which will only scare  you.

I have a blog which details my experiences ,feel free to read it and post any questions on the forum someone will always get back to you.

Good luck

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz,wordpress.com.

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

Keia
Posted by

Hello Hazel,

I wanted to say thank you very much for sharing your experience, my uncle has read your blog and it has really helped him prepare for what is next.

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Keira No problems good luck to your uncle any questions just ask ,or send me a friend request if you prefer a personal response.

nest wishes Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz,wordpress.com.

i give a honest account of my experiences with tonsil cancer 

Beesuit
Posted by

Hi Keia

so sorry you are here searching for answers. 
if you search “obturator” in the head and neck section there are quite a few posts from people who have had palate surgery. 
I hope you find something there. 

Ron51
Posted by

I had the front of my palate  removed and have an obturator fitted and it's false teeth plus I take it depending on how much you have removed, my biggish problem is biting (not for pain) but it's still being adjusted and with mine slightly uncomfortable at the base of my nose, as I said still being adjusted, ask them to leave the outside of your top lip then if you don't have radio there he can still grow a mustache like I did and as I'm a wimp I didn't have the plastic surgery to put it right (it shrinks and curled under) but the mustache covers it well enough and I can't shave it anyhow. I think if you want to know anything more just ask and I will do my best to answer but until it's done you won't know the extent of what is removed.