Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Cough, sneezing, eyes watering.

Lady Tourelle
Posted by

My husband had HPV related throat cancer & finished treatment 8 years ago. He is fully recovered, but has intermittent, frequent bouts of the above, which are getting him down. He has been told by his ENT consultant that it is not related. Has anybody else had similar? 

Lady Tourelle

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Lady Tourelle, i very much am on your consultant's side as they are not normally linked, did the consultant advise him what to do next or what it could be. If not then go back to your husbands G.P for more advice or treatment. Hope you manage to get something sorted, best wishes, take care.

Chris x                                             

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Lady Tourelle
Posted by

Thanks Chris.

He has seen GP, Consultant etc. I think the final agreement is that is something he will just have to live with! Could be worse. At least he is cancer free.

best wishes 

Pam

Lady Tourelle

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Pam, if it does continue and is upsetting or irritating him then please go back to his G.P, Yes that's great news he is cancer-free well done. All the best for the future, take care.

Chris x 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

AnnaKV01
Posted by

Hello Lady Tourelle

I know that, technically, it's not supposed to be related.  I had cancer of the vocal cords and finished treatment almost 2 years ago.  I also have regular sneezing bouts and watery eyes.  It may indeed not be 'related' but it's not much fun, is it?  The only thing I have discovered is that I have to be super-careful about any form of dust, of pepper and of anything with the sort of spice which might ordinarily have made one cough a bit.  

Don't know whether this helps, but hope so.

best

Anna

AnnaKV01
Lady Tourelle
Posted by

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your reply. It’s interesting that you suffer from a similar condition, & yes, it really gets him down at times. 

He does splutter a bit when eating curries etc, but these bouts seem to happen at any time. 

At least he is cancer free & hopefully you are as well.

Best wishes,

Pam 

Lady Tourelle

AnnaKV01
Posted by

Hello Pam

Yes, I can understand it getting him down - I think I should have bought shares in Kleenex!  Still, at least it's not as bad as the results of the radiotherapy when I had to carry a spit bowl around with me....

For me, I've been trying to isolate spices etc because it's not every one which affects me.  I find pepper is the worst - so no more lovely ground pepper in my scrambled eggs, or on my meal in the Italian down the road - but otherwise I'm gradually making a list of which ones do affect me and which don't.  I suspect it's personal, but I can manage curry although I struggle with chilli, for example.  Might be worth you doing a bit of research. I don't, for example, react to our cat.

My husband thinks that, when I'm concentrating on working out what does and doesn't affect me, I'm less likely to be affected, if that makes sense. 

Onwards and upwards, as they say....

best

Anna

AnnaKV01