Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Rig feeding tube

Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

Just wondered if anyone had any problems with their feeding tube .

My tube is ok with flushing and medication but the feed is taking forever to go down. 

I don't think its blocked as goes down eventually but don't want to force it 

Any advice 

Ron51
Posted by

Is that pumped feed? if so you might have the flow set to low, if it goes in with a syringe it should go in pumped

Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

No it's bolus gravity feed.

Ron51
Posted by

No idea what that is but a thought, could you syringe it in, though I would say not to fast.

Abrn
Posted by

Hi

Yeah its gravity and you can use the syringe although gently with no force 

Just wondered if anyone had came across it.

It doesn't seem blocked 

Ron51
Posted by

From memory it was recommended that you flushed with water before and after so if it was blocked the water wouldn't go through, I only had the big food through a pump over night and all the energy drinks and medication through a syringe

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Abrn, not sure why if you are pump-fed unless a delivery tube is twisted, I use a syringe and always top my bottle of Ensure up with water so it syringes easier. It's fine with flushing tho.  

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Abrn
Posted by

Hi

Yeah that's what is confusing me it's flushing and my meds are all fine but it's the feed that's taking ages to go down 

Ron51
Posted by

Another thought, do you shake it, should you shake it, if you should maybe shake it a bit more or even warm it perhaps.

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Abrn,do you flush using a syringe ?

Chris

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Abrn
Posted by

Yeah I was thinking along those lines too 

Abrn
Posted by

Yeah that's also what I thought of or warm the water I'm using to flush maybe 

Ron51
Posted by

I was thinking that if you warm the feed it might thin it a bit

Drivermason
Posted by

Hi

My hubby just had his PEG tube fitted and the Nutricia nurse said we could add water to the feed to make it go in easier if it’s too slow.

She also advised the put the plunger in the syringe and then take it out without plunging.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Sharon

Much love

Sharon and Ken xx

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.