Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Taste

Bradlou
Posted by

3 weeks post treatment and still even water tastes like salty slime I'm still trying different food and drinks but it all taztes Awful beginning to wonder will I ever taste food propley again .

Bradlou
Beesuit
Posted by

Yes you will so don’t despair but it comes and goes. I find even  at 10 months that things I enjoyed last week taste strange this. 
I found carbonated   water very refreshing and at the height of my mouth discomfort I dreamed of glugging a Diet Pepsi. 
That Cola diluted a little was wonderful and took all the fur out of my mouth. I still enjoy it but not too much as it’s acid and bad for teeth  

Allicat
Posted by

I am 2 and a half years on from finishing treatment and I no longer approach meals with dread. I still can’t taste everything but I am still finding that it is improving - I will suddenly realise I can eat or taste something I previously couldn’t. 
I know that from where you are now it all seems impossible, and I remember that awful time so well. I don’t think I could even sip water at that stage, but slowly moved on to custard and soft foods. But hang in there and have faith - it will get better in time. 
My thoughts are with you - best of luck.

Allicat
Posted by

I am 2 and a half years on from finishing treatment and I no longer approach meals with dread. I still can’t taste everything but I am still finding that it is improving - I will suddenly realise I can eat or taste something I previously couldn’t. 
I know that from where you are now it all seems impossible, and I remember that awful time so well. I don’t think I could even sip water at that stage, but slowly moved on to custard and soft foods. But hang in there and have faith - it will get better in time. 
My thoughts are with you - best of luck.