Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Post treatment diet

Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

Well I'm 3weeks post treatment and starting to eat small amounts of foods .

I'm still sore when swallowing but I haven't lost my tastebuds. 

Any ideas on different textures of food are welcome and any routine before eating Welcome. 

Beesuit
Posted by

Good going

Don’t try anything scratchy obviously but it’s just a case of experimenting. I found the trick to getting anything down was to take the tiniest sip of tea with the mouthful of food I was chewing. If I took a big sip to actually swallow it I filled up with liquid pretty quickly. 
I tried very quickly to actually abandon sloppy food so that my throat actually had a bolus of food to swallow. 
i kept up my swallowing exercises until I was confident I could handle meat chicken and bread

My taste buds were fine at three weeks but sadly deteriorated somewhat for a while before gradually returning  

10 months down the line my taste isn’t back to normal but I enjoy most things apart from citrus fruit which is far too sour

Hope you get on well with your eating 

Abrn
Posted by

Hi

Thanks for your reply. 

I am the same I make sure ive got water beside me when I'm eating and the food I'm eating I make sure ive to chew it and use my muscles rather than soft food although I'm a lover of puddings. 

I suppose it is just trial and error and enjoy food again. 

Beesuit
Posted by

Puddings?

Tell me!

I have developed such a sweet tooth but It's trade off between eating sweet stuff and a manic obsession with tooth brushing

Hopeless!

I even keep a comprehensive tooth cleaning kit in my handbag!

Abrn
Posted by

Yeah but it's worth it. 

Sometimes though I get pain on the roof of my mouth even with puddings but again its worth it 

ricoshay
Posted by

Hi

OH lived on porridge (the sort that comes in sachets that you measure the milk in) with golden syrup, and soup! Then rice pudding and custard, progressing to mash, mince, and now most things that aren't dry or spicy. He can't eat cake unless its drowned in cream, bread is ok but not the crust....it has been trial and error, as others have found too, I think. The message from our dietician was to focus on calories rather than balance at first. He still has the occasional Fortisip to top up.

Difflam helps with oral hygiene, I'd say he's only been able to clean his teeth properly in the last couple of weeks, it was making him retch before then. Dentist seems happy enough though :-)

Good luck, sounds like you're doing really well!

...ricoshay x

....ricoshay
Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

Sounds a lot like mine but I'm a lover of chicken so I'm managing small pieces at a time that's like chocolate for me sometimes .

You have just put an idea in my head for cake . I used to like cake with custard over it.

For some reason probably healthy eating for the whole house I haven't had it for ages. 

Mm tonight here it comes 

ricoshay
Posted by

Cake and custard! Yes!!

I forgot there were 2 other staple dishes. Spaghetti hoops with eggs (scrambled or poached), and for variety, eggs with spaghetti hoops. 

I think we have shares in Heinz we went thru so many tins!

... Ricoshay x

....ricoshay
Abrn
Posted by

Lo

Funnily enough just the other night I  bought spaghetti hoops and sausages mmm

Not very keen on eggs but can eat scrambled and that would be good with spaghetti hoops .

djmay61
Posted by

All sounds like your going  very well in the right direction. Try manuka honey instead of syrup if possible as really good for healing and healthy for us. I lived on wheatabix soaked in milk and porridge with that honey. Also rice puddings. Also drink plenty and build up on any exercise when you have the energy plus cap naps are good to help the healing process. Good luck you doing brilliant Dave

Beesuit
Posted by

djmay

as a beekeeper I can tell you that any raw  British honey from a small producer has similar properties, is cheaper and tastes a darn sight better than Manuka. 

PM me and you can have a sample

Daveg710
Posted by

Hi

I've been trying slices of cold apple, grapes cut in half and frozen, full fat ice cream, jelly, mash in butter with mince,onion,carrot, mushroom, peas & gravy. Home made soups, noodles (flavoured) stir fry, cottage pie, scouse, fish, strawberries, pineapple, trifle, rice pudding, rice, eggs done various ways. Jacket potatoes with cottage cheese,tuna, Bean's etc

Honey is great, more so on thick toast, or in cereals (i love it) but for me I've got to be careful of sugars on my teeth, so I just use mouth wash or clean my teeth after.

I've had to stay clear of tomatoes, lemons, vinegar (anything with citric acid) at the moment, as it affects my throat.

Find something you like and adapt it to suit you and your needs. That's all I'm trying to do.

Have fun Dave

Abrn
Posted by

Spoke to soon. 

Just starting to enjoy food and ended up on antibiotics for oral thrush. 

For today I have tortured myself looking at different foods and everything ive tried is agonizing. 

Feeling quite low as like two steps forward and 5 back 

Beesuit
Posted by

You poor thing. I had two bouts of it then it just stopped. I persuaded my GP to give me two weeks worth of fluconazole with another course spare so I could hit it on the head straightaway. It never came back. 
Hang on in there and eat lots of yoghurt. 

ricoshay
Posted by

Aaaargh! Nightmare :-(

OH is bouncing between ear infections for which they prescribe antibios, to thrush which always then bites back cos of the antibios! We head back to France in a week so I think we'll need a 6 month supply of Fluco to take with us!

And he hates yoghurt which doesn't help. Now trying Probiotics in a capsule form in the hope it might promote some well being from the inside.

...ricoshay x

....ricoshay