Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Post treatment Vomiting ( Tonsil)

Jac19
Posted by
  1. Hi I’m into week 4 recovery after 6 weeks of radiotherapy and chemo for tonsil cancer and secondary in the neck! It’s been a gruelling time due to a bad chemo reaction in treatment week 1 and nasal tube fitted in week 3 due to severe weight loss! The last 4 weeks post treatment have been bad although some things have improved! My problem now is vomiting ( not just the daily wretching ) it’s been a couple of days and started when I was hooked up to a food bag  So I’ve now gone 3 nights without my feed which is concerning me. Has anyone else experienced this? It’s really getting me down and worried that I might have to go back in to hospital- I’ve been in twice during my treatment and my experience on the cancer ward was terrible
chris2012
Posted by

Hello Jac19, please contact your dietitian or one of your team as you cannot carry on like this, when I was recovering in hospital I was sick when I was feed via a bag. One reason was they were pumping it in too quickly and overfeeding me, the trouble the stomach shrinks when we go through surgery and treatment so it has to be gently returned back to size. The second could be your body just does not like that feed so maybe try another one. I gave up with being pump-fed and started to syringe Ensure food supplement drinks through my peg feeding tube. I was and have never been sick since. Something like Complan will help until you see somebody about it. Oh i have just realised that you are not on PEG  feeding tube  but NG , im not sure if you can syringe food supplements through the NG, it sounds like another story where you should have been offered a PEG that is fitted in the stomach rather than the nose, Sorry i cannot offer more advice , maybe anti-sickness medication might help. Wishing you well, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Ron51
Posted by

I had trouble in hospital with feed and as Chris2012 said they were putting it in to fast (they like to get the feed in in less than 8 hours if I remember) and the first thing they did was slow it down but it was so slow that I would of been on the feed all day so they changed the Feed and I didn't have a problem with the new, the new feed was more expensive one. I was not sick but probably would of been if they hadn't sorted the first type of feed out.

Beesuit
Posted by

Hi Jac

I had exactly the very same with my recovery

I could never have a litre of food overnight either. The best I ever did was 500ml. I supplemented through the day with two or three Fortisips, diluted by 30% with water. It goes down a NG tube fairly easily.

I was prescribed Metoclopramide which helped a little 

Also, are you still on Morphine? Because that just adds to the sickness, some people are just super sensitive to it.

Have a word with your dietician like others have said and good luck

I have a bit of a self indulgent blog. Look in if you fancy
Jac19
Posted by

Hi Chris and thank you for responding!

When I was in hospital I was sick when they increased the speed to 74 so I only have it at 60!- it means I’m hooked up for 16 hours but I refuse to try and increase in case of vomiting!

i was supposed to have a stomach peg but they cancelled and said see how I get on! 

I had just started taking anti sickness tablets again- so I will keep this up again now!

They gave me vanilla Fortisip which are disgusting and I did try in the syringe and threw up! I’ve got strawberry flavour on order now so I might cope drinking them

Today I feel a bit better and have managed to drink and keep down water so I might try my food again tonight!

thanks

Jac19
Posted by

Hi Ron and thanks for replying! See my response to Chris for info.

Im ringing my dietician on Monday so depending on how I get on I’ll ask about alternatives- although I’m lactose intolerant to some extent so that’s why I’m on my current one!

thanks

Jac19
Posted by

Hi Beesuit and thanks for replying 

see my previous replies for info 

Also no I’m not on morphine just Codeine and paracetamol- even though I’m a wuss with a low pain threshold:)

As stated in other reply I hate Fortisip but have strawberry flavour on order so maybe that’ll be more palatable! When I put it diluted through syringe I vomited the second time!

I think my stomach has had enough and like me yearns for normal food :) 

I will check your blog

than 

Beesuit
Posted by

Yep. Strawberry was the only one I could stomach. 

I have a bit of a self indulgent blog. Look in if you fancy