Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Swallow

mrsscoops
Posted by

Hello

Would like some advice if possible, after cancer free for 12 years, my husband now has dyspraxia(I may have spelt it wrong).  But basically his epiglottis doesn’t close properly anymore.  He can still eat.  But had swallow X-ray and it showed that sometimes food/liquid would go down the wrong way. It now hurts at the back of throat when he swallows.  Today he has mentioned about feeling nauseous.  Any advice would help, he was check at head and neck clinic late last year.  I have asked him to go back again.

Thanks in advance 

Ann

chris2012
Posted by

Hello Ann. I know a little about the function of this as it acts as a valve or flap to divert food from going into the lungs so I would ask for an appointment to see his head and neck consultant for safety reasons i.e the risk of choking, infections etc as something is not quite right and will not repair or sort itself out . 12 years is a long time to be cancer-free and is the same time for me so I would think it is nothing serious but to be on the safe side its worth a check-up, the sooner the better. My teeth are now playing up (due to radiotherapy ) so I have to get two removed so it just shows even after 12 years something can crop up. I would also ease of eating solid food and go for soups or foods that are easy to eat and swallow, this might help the pain which he should not be having and again there is a reason for it to be checked out. I hope the advice I have given makes sense and your husband takes your advice in him going back. Wishing you and your husband all the best, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Ww123
Posted by

Hi I would get this checked out my hubby was a bit like that

he ended up in hospital a few times with aspirated pneumonia ...as food sometimes and fluids went into lung and he became very poorly ...my hubby also had nauseous a lot ..don't won't to worry you as 12 years clear is brilliant ..but please get check out as could lead to chest infection and aspirated pneumonia 

Beesuit
Posted by

Hi Ann

sorry your husband has to cope with all this. 

You're right, he has to go back to get this sorted 

Causes of Oropharyngeal SCC have shifted significantly over the years due to HPV with younger people being affected and potentially surviving for a very long time. More modern targeted therapies are continually in the pipeline as this science recognises the significance of late effects of radiation.

I’m hopefully at the start of a long road being only 8 months post treatment but I am religious in all my mouth and throat exercises. I started before treatment and consider them a lifetime commitment. None of my team mentioned this but when I brought it up they agreed it was a good thing.

i just hope it translates to their advice for all the unfortunates that find themselves in my footsteps  

mrsscoops
Posted by

Hi Chris,

yes Steve is getting referred back to head and neck he has already had all swallow test so they may or may not do them again. and yes also his teeth are now playing up.  He has had to have three already taken out.  He went to the hospital for that but it was not the normal dentist department it was in a specific department but cannot remember the name.  But his teeth are slowly chipping away.  Our dentist is doing his best to save them but he will need denture on the bottom eventually.  

Mann

mrsscoops
Posted by

Hi Chris,

yes Steve is getting referred back to head and neck he has already had all swallow test so they may or may not do them again. and yes also his teeth are now playing up.  He has had to have three already taken out.  He went to the hospital for that but it was not the normal dentist department it was in a specific department but cannot remember the name.  But his teeth are slowly chipping away.  Our dentist is doing his best to save them but he will need denture on the bottom eventually.  

Mann

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Mann , yes the same as my dentist he is also trying his best, please let us know how you both get on or if you have any more concerns, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

mrsscoops
Posted by

Hello Chris,

Thanks for all your help and advice, especially over the years.  It is good to familiar names on here.  

So Steve has his appointment with head and neck clinic.  He saw one of the original consultant  from his oncology days.  So he is happy with neck and that there is no cancer back at least.  He has said that it’s just the long term after affects.  Steve said the consultant was almost apologetic.  But first and foremost, they saved his life!

So he just had to be careful on what he eats and it may just always hurt.  The only suggestion was to possibly stretch his feeding pipe.  But it’s so scarred it may not work and it could even collapse.

They will be happy to keep doing swallow tests, but suggested early next year for the next one.  Also they are happy to see him in Head and Neck whenever he feels he needs to go back.  But it will be through gp.

just to note, we did find out some time after treatment that he had a very high dose of radiation.  It was a very very radical treatment.  He also had 5 lots of cistplastin.

Ann

chris2012
Posted by

No worries Ann, it sounds as if Steve has a good consultant, maybe in time thay will be able to do something for him as surgery, medical science and procedures improve by the year, so we never know. Please do go back if you are at all concerned about any changes or difficulties that might crop up as they will only be too pleased to help. Keep us up-to-date if you can, best wishes to you both, take care.

Chris x 

mrsscoops
Posted by

Of course thank you Chris, I really need to come on this site and see if I can help others as well.  There are an awful lot of us ‘love ones’, going through this journey as well.  Take care and thanks again for the support. Who knows stem cell replacement may become the normality, eventually anyway x

Take care

Ann x