Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Tongue cancer

Peakey blinder
Posted by

Hi there I've just started my treatment of radiochemotherapy on September 16th this mon gone I've got to have radiotherapy Mon to Fri with chemo every Tuesday for 5 weeks and I'm starting to get some side effects always and I'm only on week one of treatment just feeling tired and sleepy and I can feel my neck 'tighting is this normal or should I seek more medical advice please help me. Yours sincerely peakey blinder 

Ron51
Posted by

I would say it is probably close to normal (there is no normal), for the neck I would say keep applying the cream  I used to sit in the Radio room and does and have at least one sleep in the chemo room over the 8 hours, it will build up as time goes on so get someone to drive you after about week three. That's the best I can do.

Did you have a neck dissection? if so tensing up will make it stiffen up so try to relax (very difficult at your stage) I still have my neck stiffen up when I get stressed and it can be quite painful if I don't do some mind relaxing to control it after nearly 4 1/2 years.

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Peakey blinder, as Ron61 said there is no normal , some people hardly get the side affects yet some get them all , the chemo will male you tired ,sleepy and fatigued . I remember how weak I was after some of my operations and treatments being puffed out just walking in the garden , if possible allow your body to rest and grab as much sleep or rest that is available , I used to go for a nap after my treatment feeling a lot better afterwards . Of course if you are worried about the neck tightening and you did not have a neck dissection then you could mention when you next have your chemo/radiotherapy . Good luck for the rest of your treatment ,take care .

Chris . 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more