Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Parotid Gland Cancer

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi chris oh dear hang in there we’ve all felt like that ,  pain relief I know what yiu arevsaying re driving isntbtheer anyine who can drive you at all or use hospital transport. Pain killers are sometimes needed if onlybto help with the eating are you taking anything at the momen tvstart with themcodwine then if need be oramorph ?

Re reading be careful as again I think we have all read things that we wish we hadn’t read.

Inwas prescribed gelclair for the mouth ulcers and radiation burn in my tongue it worked up to a point ,goood old salt water try that. Tip with Ensure drink dilute them makes them easier to swallow plus you get extra hydration I used to dilute by same amount again .

hazel good luck if u can do it anyine can 

RadioactiveRaz 

Shirleyf
Posted by

Hi Chris

hope your feeling as ok as possible, went through the same as you last year.  I mouth washed with sodium bicarbonate, salt and boiled water every hour while awake and I had 2 lots of Maniuka honey max strength every day, it definitely helped.  Keep doing head, neck and mouth exercises to keep the stiffness away.  Good luck.  It gets worse before it gets better but there is light at the end of the tunnel !

Shirley

chrisuk1
Posted by

Hi Hazel, 

Unfortunately there is no-one else who can drive me to the hospital so I have to be careful with the painkillers. Also I want to avoid patient transport if I can. A few years ago I injured my leg and had to use patient transport and sometimes it can take hours to get home, especially if they drop off lots of other patients first.

I've taken your advice and I am diluting the Ensure with milk. It is much better.

Hope you are well,

Chris 

chrisuk1
Posted by

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to let you all know about a mouth rinse I have discovered that greatly reduces the sore mouth and ulcers caused by radiotherapy. It is called "Caphosol". You rinse your mouth 4 to 10 times a day with it. My mouth got so bad during the second week of treatment that I could not eat. After using Caphosol for a couple of days the soreness and ulcers disappeared. My doctor kindly provided me with a repeat prescription after I had paid privately (£50) for the first supply. Please note that it does not help with "dry mouth" or help with loss of taste. But it least it helps with the pain and difficulty in eating.

Chris

chris2012
Posted by

Hi Chrisuk1, thanks for this update as so many of us need as much help as possible with the side effects of radiotherapy, as they say "every little bit helps". Hope all is going ok with you, all the best, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Beesuit
Posted by

So glad it helped you. It certainly sorted me out. 

Shirleyf
Posted by

Hi Chris

great to hear you have got some pain relief! Good luck with the rest of the radiotherapy, over half way through now.

take care

shirley