Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Treatment delay

Bluebird6
Posted by

all t’d up ready for my husband to start radiotherapy + chemo treatment next Monday, chemo planning tomorrow, then just got a phone call to say they are looking again at the radiotherapy treatment and need to check / change something so now starting everything on Tuesday and that they will give him two radiotherapy treatments on Friday so he still gets 5 that week!

is it ok to have two in 1 day? 

Anybody else have anything like this at the start?

its an anxious time anyway and this is making me more nervous especially as I was worried about the radiotherapy planning as they didn’t give him contrast with his planning ct.

any insights please?

L

MikeO
Posted by

It didn't happen to me but I've come across several people over the years who've had more than one RT session in the same day so nothing to worry about. I'd take it as a "good" sign that they're looking more closely at the plan even at this late stage and tailoring it to his specific needs.

What is a Community Champion?

Metastatic SCC of right medial piriform fossa plus four malignant lymph nodes diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014.

http://mike-oldfield.blogspot.co.uk/

old biker
Posted by

I wouldn't worry too much about the contrast for the planning CT scan. When I was having my planning CT scan, they couldn't get a line in my vein for the contrast, the consultant said it was ok he would line it all up with the MRI scan I had had. Best wishes.

Regards Ray.

Margaret853
Posted by

Hi Bluebird6.  

My treatment got delayed several times for various reasons.  One time it was because they had looked again at the radiotherapy planning and decided it would take 7 weeks instead of 6.  I remember being very anxious about what would happen if I was ill one day, or the transport didn't turn up, or if the radiotherapy machine broke down.  Fortunately none of this happened but I was told not to worry if it did as they could always do two RT sessions in one day.  So it sounds to me that two in a day isn't a problem.  

I only had contrast with my initial diagnostic CT scan.  At the time I'd been very upset to see so many CT scans on the schedule for my planning and treatment as I hate having to have a cannula put in.  I was told that the contrast is only necessary on the first CT scan and that they wouldn't be needing to use it again.

As you say it's a very anxious time but your husband is in very good expert hands.  I used to get very anxious about it all and so did my husband.  With hindsight we never always asked my medical team about things they could have easily reassured us about.  So do ask them if something is troubling you.  xx

"Life might not be the party we were expecting but while we are here we should dance."

Beesuit
Posted by

Two zaps in one day is fine. 

You need a few hours in between so he’ll probably have an early and a late session

Bluebird6
Posted by

Hi

that's reassuring to hear thank you

L

Bluebird6
Posted by

Hi

Thank you, good to know it’s happened to other people too, thanks for the reassurance 

L

chris2012
Posted by

Hello Bluebird , I had my radiotherapy done during the Christmas period so had to have two sessions of radiotherapy in one day , twice due to the holiday . Wishing you and your husband all the best for next week , take care .

Chris x 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Bluebird6
Posted by

Thank you, good to hear it’s not so unusual, hope you are doing well and making a good recovery?

Bluebird6
Posted by

Thank you for sharing that, good to hear your experience and reassuring 

Lisamarie43
Posted by

Hi i had 2 radio in one day beacuse of the bank hoilday I was fine just a pain going all the way to worc from redditch twice in one day but of course it was worth it x