Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Treatment

Abrn
Posted by

Such a lot of information to take in.

People here seem so amazing whilst I'm starting to feel a bit panic. 

Ent have mentioned pet scan tonsil removal neck dissection but can't say for certain. 

Mdt meeting next Tuesday hopefully once I have plan I'll maybe feel better I'm usually positive think its fears of unknown just now 

Margaret853
Posted by

Hello Abrn

I think you will start to feel a bit better when you have the treatment plan.  I know I did.  As you say it's the fear of the unknown. 

There are plenty of us here who have successfully been through treatment and we're all here to help you along.  xx

"Life might not be the party we were expecting but while we are here we should dance."

Beesuit
Posted by

Hang on in there

once you have a treatment plan you just put your head down and get going. It’s not easy but doable. I’m 68 and I managed. Don’t be disappointed in the time it takes your consultants to get going. Radiotherapy takes a lot of very intricate and clever planning. 

Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

Thanks I'm glad to be speaking about it to others in the same boat.  Think maybe ive been avoiding it 

Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

Thanks I know I will be ok I'm usually positive just a bit off the now 

Abrn
Posted by

Hi.

Ent said scc in neck but no primary so far. 

He said possibly removal of tonsil and neck dissection but he can't say for certain as everything looked ok at excisional biopsy 

LindaWT
Posted by

Hi Abrn 

There is a lot of information out there and it can be overwhelming and scary.  Until you have had your meeting and have a treatment plan you don't know which information is relevant to you.

Try not to dwell on it too much at the moment.  You will feel much more positive when you have a plan I'm sure.  And as many of us can attest to, it is doable.

Good luck.

Linda

Beesuit
Posted by

Abrn

stay here during treatment too. This place is a mind of information you don’t get from your hospital team. It’s based on experience not observation of patients. Though of course your first stop must be your doctors but there is much help here to make your life more bearable. Good luck. You’ll be fine. 

Sunflowers15
Posted by

Hi Abrn, my husband was initially diagnosed with cancer via a lymph node in his lower neck. They could not find the primary, lots of different scans, biopsies looking for primary but it was never found however due to his found cancer spread (lymph nodes under arm and upper chest also all left side but not lymphoma) they suspected a head and neck cancer and eventually treatment commenced in relation to that cancer type. During the search for primary the treatments mentioned changed a few times. This was one of the hardest times as it wasn't a case from the start of the primary is here so we are going to do ....We had to wait a few months whilst an extensive search for primary was  carried out before we had any treatment plan in concrete. Good luck with the search for the primary and I hope a concrete treatment plan is put in place for you soon.

Jaffa44
Posted by

Hi Abrn

My partner had lump in lymph node and the MRI and CT scan did not reveal the primary, this was at the end of April. I felt like my heart was falling out through my body when we heard. Fortunately the PET scan revealed the primary in left tonsil which was removed in May. His treatment started at the end of June.

Try not to worry, as diagnosis and treatment follows a path and it does take time. I have to say research, treatment and enduring this time have become our new normal. 

You’ve found us so that’s a good start, there’s lots of advice here. All the best!