Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

No diagnosis yet but so worried. Sinus canceR

mummyto3
Posted by

hi all. I’m going out of my mind.. for over a year now I’ve had  back and forth to gp who just said sinusitis . I have recently given birth and when baby boy was 7 weeks old I noticed a lump under chin. Gp said prob cyst but go for scan. Went scan who said it was lymph node. They radiographer suggested waiting 6 weeks before federal to ent but I’ve been back into gp as googling symptoms I’m driving myself insane thinking I have sinus Tumor which has spread to lymph nodes. I am 35 and have 5,3 and 3 month old and the though of leaving them behind with no mummy is breaking my heart. I just can’t stop crying and so worried. 

Have got ent appointment Tuesday 18th June so hoping il get some answers but know diagnosis can take weeks waiting for test results. I am so scared of the unknown and the future . 

Can anyone reveal what they might do at ent appointment. 

Sorry for long long post. 

Thanks 

Rachael 

JosieFromGlastonbury

Hi Rachael,

First of all, stay off google!  It is entirely possible to diagnose yourself with all kinds of things by looking at the lists of potential symptoms, but a real diagnosis of cancer requires a whole lot more than just matching a few possibilities.  Even the hospitals won't make a definite diagnosis until they have taken a biopsy and analysed it, because there are all kinds of things that it can also be instead.  Even tumours can be benign or malignant, so the biopsy is essential for the medical professionals to work out what is going on.

A swollen lymph node can be caused by all sorts of things, and they usually appear because your body is fighting an infection.  The nodes closest to the problem tend to swell up the most, so if it is sinusitis (and anything ending in -itis denotes an infection) then it would be completely logical that the nodes around your jaw would be the ones to swell up.

For your peace of mind you have done the right thing in getting a referral to ent, and they will do all kinds of tests to see what is going on.  You may not get them all in one go, so it might take a number of visits, because scheduling in things like scans cannot usually be done on the spot unless you are a real emergency. 

Even if you do receive a diagnosis of cancer, it is not a death sentence.  I am six years post treatment, and there are lots of other members of this forum and other groups who go on to live happy and long lives after cancer, so please let go of the thought that cancer will kill you.  Survival rates are going up all the time, and many, many more people survive treatment than die from cancer.

Having put the thought into your head that you have this illness, you need to make sure that you do everything you can to prove to yourself that it is not there.  Make sure that you insist on all the tests possible to prove its absence, and then you will believe it and trust what you are being told.  It is quite clear on scans when there is a tumour present, so if you have a scan and they can't see anything then you are pretty safe!

Good luck on Tuesday, and keep us posted.  I really hope that it is all ok, and then you can be referred to a different consultant to see if they can help with the sinusitis, but even if it is a tumour then there is plenty that can be done to remove and cure it.

Best wishes,

Josie

MikeO
Posted by

Josie can I copy/paste that reply into a document on my computer for future reference? Perfectly put.

Rachael the chances of you leaving your children behind in your circumstances are extremely small. When I was diagnosed my fear was that I'd never see my son's 18th the following year, today I picked up his 23 year old self from the airport in Zakynthos, where we are currently holidaying, to join us for our last week. Add to that our grandchildren count went to ten last Friday; even if you get the worst news at every turn (which I did) there is a lot more for you to do yet.

If you get the very short straw and get a nasty diagnosis there is so much help on here, from your team and from Macmillan that will get you through it. Honest.

What is a Community Champion?

Metastatic SCC of right medial piriform fossa plus four malignant lymph nodes diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014.

http://mike-oldfield.blogspot.co.uk/

mummyto3
Posted by

Thank you for the replies.... it’s reassuring. I just keep getting outbursts of crying.... so hard trying not to cry in front of the kids cos they are so young x just want Tuesday to hurry up so I know bit more 

JosieFromGlastonbury

Mike, you are very welcome to use and amend it as you see fit.

Rachael, I so understand about the crying.  I spent two days when I would burst into tears without warning, then I realised that even though it was dark whichever way I looked, I could get through it because I had no choice.  The vast likelihood is that it is not cancer, but even if it is, you can get through it too.  Even though it is all new to us, treating these things is very routine for the oncologists, and they will be completely honest with you about what is going on at every stage, if indeed this is what is wrong.  I sincerely hope, for your sake, that you have put two and two together and come up with about 38, and that you don't need to go down the treatment route.  If you do, though, you know where we are!

Best wishes,

Josie

mummyto3
Posted by

Thank you so so much . I feel drained today. Hubby is working away tomorrow and not back til Friday so going to try switch off while he’s not here cos I’m on my own with kids x 

hipefully Tuesday will make things not more clearer of where we are up to . I know won’t get definitive answers then as need scans and biopsie but will least have a plan