Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Reoccurring SCC sites

Michael RSA
Posted by

Hi All

2 years ago I underwent a neck dissection, Radiation & Chemotherapy treatment. Out of 42 nodes removed 29 were cancerous.

The side affects included numbing of the shoulder and slight swallowing difficulties.

The dermatologist has now discovered a SCC on my head and says it has to be removed. It will require a skin graft. Has anyone been through this procedure?

Stay strong 

chris2012
Posted by

Hello Micheal RSA , I have not experienced cancer on my head, mine have been floor of the mouth, low jaw reconstruction and removal of the voice box (larynx). Like you, I had a full neck dissection with nodes removed, quite a few but not sure how many, plus i had chemo and radiotherapy. I hope you made a good recovery from your first op? I have had grafts done in several places so expect its quite similar in the fact that they have to find a section of skin that is similar to the cancerous bit. My first graft was taken from my forearm as they' can also take a long section of the vein with it, this helps them plumb it into a new graft site. Another one I had done was where they took a scraping from my thigh, I was told is like like a cheese grater where they just slice a wafer-thin bit off and use it in the new area. So maybe yours will be similar. , it will be interesting to find out the outcome Micheal so if you feel like it maybe re-post on here as its new to me. Wishing you all the best, take care.

Chris . 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more

Michael RSA
Posted by

Hi Chris sorry about the late reply.

Since my original post I had twi grafts as the first did not remove all the cancer.

Unfortunately the cancer had spread to the lymph node and now I am facing another radical neck dissection ( I one 2 years ago)

As for the skin grafts they both went well and healed well. The donor site was my thigh.

You can see details of my second neck dissection on my post recently “SCC reoccurrence)

Michael 

Stay strong 

chris2012
Posted by

Thanks for the update my friend, i remember those doner sights well . Fingers crossed they have sorted it out this time around . All the best, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more