Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Week 6 - cisplatin x6 , rt x 30

whimbrel
Posted by

Done! Would feel more triumphant if I wasn't so tired.

Exhausted last weekend, swollen throat which caused and is still causing constant cough. Chemo Tuesday, blood transfusion on Wednesday because of low red blood count and thus anaemia.Ulcers continue to get worse but am still managing two meals and a couple of bites of something in the evening.

Have got moist desquamation on outside of neck  caused by the radiotherapy( the sloughing skin that you see in post nuclear appocolypse movies ). This has to be washed each morning in a decontamination solution, a gel applied and a dressing put over. All very painful but ok after everything is in place for the day

You lovely people have been a great support and also  helped me to understand the various stages of this so that I could prepare myself for each stage This is why I know that this is not the end and I will not be magically better but will instead get worse for a couple of weeks.

On the positive side I walked most mornings, I drove myself to the hospital for all the treatments, both things brought me a great deal of pleasure.  

I wish everyone on this site the best week that they can have and will bore you with updates of post treatment life.

RadioactiveRaz
Posted by

Hi Whimbrel 

well done in completing treatment , justvremember take it easy yiuve been in the hands if medical care for weeks now it’s a bit like being thrown to the lions baby steps are what’s needed. I describe this period as body like a radiator full of radiotherapy heath and now has to discharge its heat slowly slowly .Drink drink then more drink water herbal tea and keep up the oral care it’s still vitally important. Remember painkillers are there to kill the pain. 

Live uodatrd my blog if you are bored and fancy seeing some sunshine , have biked iverv200 km and walked scrambled over  two mountains each with ive a 1000 ft of ascent descent yep am mad .

any questions shout out as usual

h x 

RadioactiveRaz 

whimbrel
Posted by

Thanks Hazel, have always followed your advice and believe that it has made a big difference. Can't wait to have your energy. Really glad that you are enjoying the other side of this. X

Alichapp
Posted by

Hi Whimbrel, so pleased to hear you are done with the treatments, and I look forward to your continuing updates. It's a good time of year to emerge from treatment, with Spring happening all around, isn't it? You have done amazingly well to still be eating 2 meals a day; that should be a great basis for a strong recovery.