Head and neck cancer

A place for people affected by head and neck cancers, including oral, throat , larynx (voice box), salivary glands, middle ear, and sinus and nasopharyngeal cancer. Support one another, ask questions, and share experiences.

Barretts and Oral Cancer

lulabelle
Posted by

Hi, My husband has suspected oral cancer and is on the 2 week appointment wait.  He also has Barretts Oesphagus.  Does anyone know if these are related conditions?

chris2012
Posted by

Hello lulabelle , i have not heard of Barrets Oesophagus but have heard of cancer of Oesophagus but only know a little about it , they do operations and treatment on this area. I have had cancer of the mouth in three areas but each one a year apart. You husbands could be related and part of the same cancer. His consultant should be able to tell you both more once they have done scans etc. where an appointment will be made after your first meeting. Sorry i cannot offer better advice but i wish you both all the best for two weeks time, please come back and report the outcome. Take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more
lulabelle
Posted by

Thank you Chris.  My husband has had Barretts (pre-cancer of the throat) for 6 years ago and is checked every 2 years. He had a stroke 12 years ago due to being a heavy smoker, and now the possibity of cancer of the mouth. All this fits with his previous lifestyle - after years of trying he gave up smoking on the day of his stroke!

I shall be glad to see the consultant to know the outcome and the way forward regarding treatment.  This 2 week wait is agonising.  We or I might be worrying for nothing!

Again, thank you

chris2012
Posted by

Not a problem lulabelle, like your husband i was a heavy smoker and a light drinker and gave up just before i saw my consultant, so well done your husband for stopping also. You never know with cancer as sometimes all the signs point to cancer yet turn out to be negative . of course it can work the other way around, so yes you could be worrying for nothing, let's hope you are. Remember the earlier they check the better the chances are of treating it, try and keep occupied as this will make the time pass quicker and will take yours and hubby's mind of it. Two weeks won't make any difference to the end result, stay positive. You will be suprised on how many people on here that have never smoked or drank yet it still affects them. Fingers crossed for you both.  

Chris x 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it !                Click here to find out more