Post Treatment nearly 3 months and .........

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 100 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hello again, 

Haven't shown my face on here for around 3 months, I have been dealing with the after effects of 6 weeks of treatment for Nasopharyngeal Cancer, 30 bits of Radiotherapy and Two Cesplatin Chemo, 6 weeks daily in all, and now post treatment almost 3 months.

After going through such harsh treatment ( and I wish I could soften the blow, but no-one on here if honest will call it enjoyable, little own manageable, it's doable, but it's a challenge on mind and spirit that's for sure. ) During treatment I suffered from fatigue, nausea, retching and vomiting (chemo) and having to get used to all protein etc by P.E.G. tube, in itself not that bad, you just yearn for some solid food is all...... had the usual worries and concerns, be that the illness, family, friends, work etc: 

Then you hit the third or forth week and the throat starts to tighten, get sore, both internally and externally, tongue can also swell or get very sore indeed, talking, eating and drinking becomes very unpleasant, and I for one after a particularly bad day had a few tears in the shower that night, just a sense of being out of control and feeling sorry for ones self. That in turn bought on the dry mouth and throat syndrome, whereby I was waking literally every hour just to rinse my mouth or try and swallow a sip of water, many times I just administered medication to ease or control the pain, which varied in strength and at which times it visited, but by and large very little sleep and found myself taking regular naps in the day just to try and catch up with the loss.....The thick mucus and vomiting that many talk about hit me quite severely, others I know not so much. I simply could not believe the amount and for how often when it did occur, and the retching and coughing up only made the throat even more sore than it already was. It was one of the most unpleasant aspects of the entire treatment, but I'm glad to say it has now subsided post treatment and only really re-occurs ( on a much smaller scale ) if I eat too much Dairy ! and remember, not everybody suffers from this side effect, and I hope you are, or were, one of those.

Treatment ended on 25th August 2017......All of us feel a little rough just prior to, and indeed for a good few weeks after treatment ends, the accumulation in the body of all the Radiotherapy and Chemo, the medication, lack of food and sleep, weight loss, all contribute to making life pretty uncomfortable in that period, but we are all different and our bodies react differently to treatment from case to case, this is my experience, but it may not be yours.

As the weeks progressed through September and into October, I started to feel slightly better, a little more energy was most definitely noticeable, I tried some buttery mash potato with un-seasoned gravy at the end of October and found I was able to eat and swallow it, okay, so it took a while, and I found myself eating it almost cold by the end of the meal, but no matter...I was swallowing again, and that in itself made not only myself, but the Hospital team very happy too ! ..... I started to try various soft dishes, sometimes liquidised just as if i was going to put it down my P.E.G. but instead swallowed it down as a soup.....I even added  some thinly sliced roast beef and mash to one dinner, and thinly sliced chicken to another, ( the plain cheese burger that my well intentioned son bought home for me was a no no  .....tasted like cardboard and proved very hard to swallow, even with a drink....so that's out of the question, but the dog thoroughly enjoyed it !

So here I am now nearly three months on, hospital team are very happy with my progress, could do with putting a little more weight on they say, but I'm working on it every day. Half mouth, half P.E.G. still not at the stage where I can do without the tube, but hopefully that is only a few more weeks away. I still get the occasional nausea that surprises me, and in turn sends me running to the bathroom day or night, but again that is getting better by the week, I can taste most things ( which I'm told is a big bonus a this stage ) but saliva is a real problem still, and will continue to be I'm told ( but for how long i ask !!! ) I smell cooking and think I could eat a horse, only to find i can barely eat some scrambled egg.....Water is still my most comfortable drink, tea and coffee too claggy and dairy like in my throat and mouth, talking of which, tongue still flares up occasionally, and when it does, boy is it painful......BUT.......I am definitely better than I was, will be even better if synopsis P.E.T. Scan on 27th Nov is positive.....(fingers crossed) and I'm sure I am getting better every day / week, but that doesn't stop me feeling down still some days,but I think that's just the enormity of the journey isn't it ?

If you are in treatment , or post treatment, this is just a brief description of how it was / is for me.......I wish all and everyone of you a positive outcome, and long may you continue to enjoy your life with family. friends, and loved ones.

Marcus .......

• Thanks for that Marcus; a very personal tale that many of us (certainly myself) can relate to much of. So pleased things are looking up for you, I'm sure the scan will be fine but it's a tough time we all go through and you describe it very well.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thankyou for your post .i dont really know what to say .youve been very brave .i had my op in aug to remove my palate and 5 teeth even though it been hard .nothing compared to what youve been through take care xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MikeO

Thanks Mike'o....having followed your site since i joined, i would say it is you thats decribes their experiences so personally and openly......mine are just barely concealed rants about the downside of treatment.....Even as I write this my mind goes back to your description of having a "sandpaper cave mouth".....and that description is so right in itself, right now i have a mouth like thr inside of a tupperware box left out in the Arizona sun with the lid patially off ! ....dry enough for you ? ....it's awful, never known it this bad, literally bone dry, crystals forming on roof of mouth, sipping water every minute or so.....tongue very sore and swollen....as is roof of mouth....ibruprofen and Oramouth not touching it... any ideas welcomed please ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I was, very late in my treatment, introduced to Difflam mouthwash, which I found helped to tame the wild stinging of the sore tongue and spotty inner mouth. Surprisingly, this was not by the RT team, but was an intervention by my GP. It definitely helped me through a rough period in my recovery.

This is available from the pharmacist with or without prescription, and I would recommend it if this is something you have not already tried.

The only thing that might be a drawback is its strong flavour, but I just used to rinse with the stuff, and then rinse several times with water. 

Glad to hear you came through with a portion of your sunny disposition still intact, chin up and onward we go....

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Marcus

Your story is so like mine. I too have nasopharyngeal cancer and am now over 1 year post treatment. Treatment same as yours other than I had 6 sides of display in with my 30 radios. Endless days of nausea and fatigue. My eating pattern has been very like yours and gradually improved. I came off fortisips gradually and had PEG removed 7 months post treatment. My physical well being has improved steadily through daily walking though I still get fatigued. I lost my hearing post treatment though it came back gradually. I have some long term effects of radiation. Tinnitus which is difficult but mainly dry mouth which does not improve and lack of taste or things still tasting unpleasant. I am very positive mentally though and all my post treatment checks have been good. 

You are doing well. Keep up the good fight!

• FormerMember

Thank you for your thoughts and kind words to all who replied on here.........

What a difference a few weeks can make, it's now 28th Nov 2017 and i've just had my latest Team meeting with after care team and Consultants, Doctors etc: Had the unpleasant but necessary Endoscopy up nose down throat inspection, happy to say no obvious signs of tumour or nodes in upper neck tubes to ear drum area, so I take faith from that but won't know much more until P.E.T. scan to investigate more fully later in December.

I'm glad to say I'm eating much better, by that I mean there is very little I can't eat by mouth providing it is warm, in small pieces, and not spicy, had a full roast dinner last night (with mash instead of roast potatoes ) chopped up veg, gravy, diced yorkshire pudding, and I'm one of the lucky ones because I can taste everything ! .....the only thing I can't abide nor get down my throat is Chocolate so some reason ? I know not why and it's a pain, because I bloody loved it before the treatment, but ho hum.....a small price to pay for feeling this much better. 

That's not to say I don't get fatigued still because I do, and the dry mouth continues to be a pain and a problem, particularly at night, the saddest part being my partner has to sleep in the spare room as I am up and down so often still. I hope in time this will past and I wont awake gasping with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth !

Other than that, just thrilled to still be here, many I know are not as lucky and I think of them and their families constantly.

That's it for about now.....off to greet my loved ones returning from work, strength, fortitude, and positive vibes to all of you going through or just finishing treatment.

Markus....x

• FormerMember

Hi Lisa marie,

Just a quick post to see how you are doing ? it's a few months now post treatment and I'm hoping you are coping a little better, albeit there are always those "off days" when pain and frustration can get to you, but remember......each and every day is a day behind you healing wise, it does get better, so much so that one day you do something and suddenly realise it wasn't possible just a few weeks before........We had Cancer......we are getting over it.......we "will" be ourselves again in the future.

Sending positive thoughts and love to all of us in the same situation.....

Take care

Marcus

• FormerMember

Hi 

So glad to read your story and even better that you've had great news and hoping you continue to get better and better. It's so difficult to find people with this as it's so rare - my husband was diagnosed on 31st October and have finished all the scans removal of teeth and now awaiting start of treatment on 14th December - I'm terrified for him he's quite positive person so that's good but I don't think either of us realised what is ahead so I'm trying to read as much but for him he's in a zone and doesn't want to know.  Would you mind if I ask what stage yours was at at beginning of your treatment? My husband is t4 n2 he's aged 44 

• FormerMember

Hi Markus

Glad to hear your physical check went well. Good luck with PET scan. Also a real plus for you that your taste is still there. You are doing all the right things. Dry mouth is often long lasting and mine still very dry 15 months post treatment but you do get used to it as time goes on. I also have tinnitus which Is a pain but manageable. If you can eat like you are doing then that' half the battle. Well done and happy Xmas to you and yours.

• FormerMember

Hi

I too was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal cancer in May 2016. I had my treatment in july/August that year. It was 2nd stage and was at back of nasal cavity and both sides of neck particularly right. I had 30 radios and 6 chemo over 6 weeks. The treatment is tough and I struggled. I am 58. But I have to say everyone is different and some get through easier than others. My advice to your husband is to keep hydrated i and take each day step by step. Try to stay relaxed. Treat it like a project. 15 months after treatment I am in remission. Getting there gradually. Best wishes and really hope all goes well.