Horrible mouth taste

• 6 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi

Just had PET CT scan 12 weeks post treatment)

Consultant appointment isn’t til 19th July  A long time to wait for  results Feeling very anxious about the scan results  

Did/does anyone have a horrible taste in their mouth post treatment? I have it all the time, nothing gets rid of it - I’m eating soups, weetabix, yoghurts but not much else  I can’t stand the thought of savoury food & am really struggling to widen the scope of what I eat  

Any advice please?

• Hi Blod

I can only speak about my experience. I had two surgeries but no RT or Chemotherapy. However I still have a horrible metallic salty taste in my mouth one year on. I’m at the stage I can eat anything I want, but not all of it tastes good, but it is getting better. I can drink still water and fruit juices anything fizzy tastes awful. My consultant said everyone is different, so other people will have other experiences. I try to always keep my teeth and tongue clean and use a gentle mouthwash. It has got better for me 

• Thank you. Did it take weeks/months to be able to eat what you want?

• Hi Blod. 12 weeks is still really early in your recovery and your trashed tastebuds can be all over the place. Sometimes it can come and go. I still have days when I get an awful taste in my mouth but I’m too lazy to keep a food diary to see what it might be. 
    Just be brave and try different foods is all you can do 

Another thing you might try is substituting your toothpaste with one that doesn’t have a flavour or SLS. I use Oranurse which you can get quickly off Amazon to try. There are cheaper places if it suits you. 
    I couldn’t use Duraphat for over two and a half years because it upset my mouth. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Blod. I started with ensure and gold cap milk it made them taste better. Soup custards etc, then crumpets moved on to shepherds pie within 6/8 weeks nearly everything. About 4 month for steaks etc, everyone is very different. Take your time don’t rush, you will get there, and you will get very good advice on here 

• Hi  we all seem to get horrible tastes from time to time even now 4 years on I’m sat here  typing and mouth feels yuck I know why I’ve just nicked some cheese while grating it. Best advise is take the mantra  food is fuel and eat to,live and not kive to eat. Try 6 smaller meals a day for a while instead of trying to  full size ones.  
    It does get better unfortunately takes time.you may not think it but for some of us 12 weeks is early days. 
    As for scan I waited 10 days it’s possible that you’ve had your scan just as mdt team s have met so possibly the results will have to be reviewed at next m d t meeting and it’s holiday time. Not ideal for you but try not to stress about it. 
    There’s a link below might help with ideas 

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/66263025/cookbook-by-andrew-gaylor-head-and-neck-cancer-survivor-2022

It really is trail and error I still use bio xtra mouthwash which is a neutral ph level Plus as Dani says sometime duraphat toothpaste is too straingbsi always have Ora nurse in as well 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help