Looking for support?

• 14 replies
  • 137 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m a 25 year old female and I am a primary school teacher. I was recently diagnosed with Acinic cell carcinoma (stage 1). I had noticed a lump in my neck for a long time and the doctors thought it was a benign tumour. Luckily I kept pestering them due to the pain of the tumour and after a biopsy I was diagnosed with cancer.

I’m having surgery next week to remove the tumour. Although I have wonderful family and a supportive boyfriend who takes care of me, I feel quite alone and very scared. I’ve not told any of my friends, and only management at work know. Iy would be great to chat to/make friends with people going through the same or similar things. Not even necessarily to talk about cancer!

Hopefully this wasn’t *too* rambley as I have struggled to know what to say! Face palm tone2‍♀️

• Hi Effy welcome to our small community sorry you e found yourself on here and well done for persevering with the gp and getting seen. I’m Hazel 5 years post radiotherapy and chemo for tonsil cancer. I’ll have a think to see if I can locate any other posts in the forum in relation to your cancer type. Remeber head and neck cancers do respond well to treatment and good luck with the op next week. Glad yiur boyfriends there for you. 
    hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi 

RE: Hello! 34 year old woman diagnosed with Acinic Cell Cancer looking for support 

I’ve found this post if you type in the search bar the magnifying glass top left banner clinic cancer there’s a few others as well. They may not be active but worth a reply to 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Effy 

Welcome to this site. Do glad you continued to push your GP as its sometimes so hard to be believed and for GPs to action urgent referrals for Head and Neck cancers.

Your diagnosis I think is in salivary gland? stage 1 is good and having surgery all positive signs x Head and neck cancers respond really well to treatment with very high cure full recovery rates.

Sadly you are in the place that we have all been….. very scary not knowing which way is up…Luckily for many of us when treatment starts this feeling subsides.Keep that brain busy as much as possible I binge watched anything on Netflix .Try and do as many nice things as you can before surgery , favourite meals things that make you happy x

Please feel free to post whenever you feel like it,if you have a question, worry a wobble … someone will respond thats the great thing about this site its the people all part of the same club all atdifferent stages … but always around ready to give a virtual hug to anyone who needs it Hearts

Debbie x

T43NMO +p16 tonsil cancer 5 weeks post treatment

• Hi Effy

Have oncology said that surgery will be enough? or have they planned Chemoradiotherapy for you.

Peter

• Hello Effy and welcome. That is really tough. I haven't got much to add to what others have said but just to echo that this is such a supportive and informative group, I found it so helpful through my cancer "journey". On the subject of telling people, I set up a WhatsApp group "Catriona's News" added all my friends and family and told them on there, after telling close ones personally first of course. The group was really useful for posting updates and getting supportive messages and, when I was feeling too poorly to bother, my partner, Mum and visitors could post updates on how I was doing too. Just an idea, I know it's not for everyone but I decided to be open from the start. 

Sending love & luck

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Hi! Yes, they’re hoping I will only need surgery but there’s a chance I may need radiotherapy after. 

• Hi Effy

Great, I hope surgery does the job,  the less radiotherapy needed the better..

Peter

• Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply! It’s great this online community exists Hearts

• Good luck with surgery, fingers crossed it goes well for you.