Starting radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal cancer

• 42 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hello

First time post here & wanted to connect & say hi.

In February I was diagnosed with nasopharyngeal carcinoma (T1N3M0). It came as a complete shock and really floored me. Treatment began quite quickly and I’m just about to finish my third cycle of chemotherapy before a 3 week break and then start daily radiotherapy for 6 weeks.

Nasopharyngeal cancer appears to be quite rare so I wanted to connect with people who are going through / have been through similar and those who’ve been through the experience of radiotherapy to the head and neck area.

While chemotherapy has been rough in parts I think I am more anxious and concerned about the side effects of radiotherapy and all the issues that come with it.

I will have a read through of some of the older posts but would really appreciate any advice on how to get through it. I have my radio planning session next week and mask fitting appointment and I’ll be honest I’m just totally dreading it.

Thank you in advance for any advice 

• Hello, thank you - my RT starts on Monday so I have a few more days without treatment. Physically I’m feeling ok at the moment just a bit tired albeit still quite emotional about what is happening. Just trying to keep positive as best I can - some days that’s easier to do than others. 

• Thank you Anghog 

That’s really helpful and good to hear you are through the other side of the treatment. I Hope your recovery is going well.

Did you manage to remain on a soft diet throughout treatment without a feeding tube? 

• A day at a time Becks. Fingers crossed it’s not to hard for you xxx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Becks I did manage to stay on the soft diet until the last couple of weeks and then was on the drinks mainly…but managed to stay off the nasal feeding. I did lose a lot of weight though. A fellow patient went on the nasal feeding and did well on this….it wasn’t as bad as feared x Angela

• In total I had 3 chemo infusions with tablets and the. 35 sessions of RT with 2 additional chemo sessions along with the RT. I finished mid February and initially I was really fatigued but I am now getting stronger. Ask about the drinks to boost your calorie intake asap and keep the weight on…this is the key. Your mouth will get dry and again use the gels and sprays to help with eating/sleeping xx

• Just read this and signed up to respond before it’s too late! If you are a foodie at all and especially if you like wine, you should make sure you eat well, and drink any special bottles you have now. Everyone is different but most of us seem to suffer from seriously impacted taste and it can last a long time. 

• Hi Becks,
    I saw you asked about a feeding tube. I have managed the whole time without (3 weeks post radio now).  I wonder if I’d be recovering quicker had I had one but I really don’t know. All I’ve managed for the last 6 weeks are shakes and fortisip with the odd bit of yoghurt and custard here and there. It takes a lot of determination when everything is sore and I’ve lost a lot of weight but it is achievable. 
    best wishes,

Clare 

• This feeding tube thing comes up every time and it’s not surprising. We are all different. I couldn’t have managed without my NG tube , or maybe I couldn’t bothered trying. Who knows? What I do know is that the better fed you are and the less weight you lose the faster your recovery. I was eating solid food by six weeks. 
    What is important is that you do what fits. Fighting the effects of treatment are bad enough. For  some people the fight to control and not use the tube is really important. It must give you a focus when all else is out of reach. 
    It’s what suits. But if you try and fail that’s ok too. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I completely agree Dani x 

• Hi , I have T4N4M0 , I having my 4 cycle of chemo now.. going to see my oncologist today and I hope to find some more information about RCT. Did you have MRI scan after chemo? 
    I am bit scared of next steps but I got a good advice from here.

I wish you all the best  Slight smile