I’m having surgery (polymorphous adenocarcinoma)

• 19 replies
  • 73 subscribers

I had my appointment on Tues to get the results of my scans and it was good news. The cancer hasn’t spread anywhere else and is localised to one area of my mouth (upper right palate next to my last molar). I’ve been told the best treatment plan is surgery to remove it all and hopefully no need for any radiotherapy afterwards.

I’m focusing on that piece of good news for now and didn’t even pay attention to what the doctor said after she told me it was curable. I’ll find out more about what’s involved in the actual surgery today.

I must admit, I’m really scared I’ll not be able to handle the pain post op because I had so much trouble with just the small biopsy incision.

• Hello again MaiT

So pleased there is no spread and they can fix you

Good news if you can avoid RT. 

Your's is a very rare cancer so you will be a bit of a reluctant celebrity on here. It's a salivary gland cancer.....we have microscopic salivary glands all over our mouth...in case anybody is interested 

Try not to worry about post operative pain, you will be really well looked after with morphine while you are in hospital and you'll get lots to take home.

Let us know how you get on and good luck

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Dani. I don’t know about celebrity but I have been thinking it might be a good idea to try my hand at lotto with these kinds of odds. 

• Excellent news don’t worry about pain there’s lots of opiates they can give you. If you go down that route remember you’ll need movicol or similar to keep bowels open.

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I’ve now been given a surgery date of 9 July and have to self isolate for 7 days. I have no idea how to tell my children. They’re only 8 and 10 so I’m not sure how much they’ll understand. I hope I can answer all their questions without scaring them too much. 

• https://be.macmillan.org.uk/Downloads/CancerInformation/ChildrenAndYoungPeople/MAC5766TalkingtochildrenE2.pdf?_ga=2.94081946.643544951.1624817434-1464969575.1614605292
    This MacMillan booklet might be useful 

My children were 10,7 and 5 the first time I was diagnosed. I sat them down and explained that I was going to go into hospital to have the bit that was making me poorly taken away and they would be going to stay with their grandparents for a while. The first thing the one of them said was “Does this mean we’ll have to have school dinners?” I’ve got to admit I was a bit put out that they weren’t more concerned but I was also relieved to think that at that age they couldn’t imagine anything seriously bad happening. If it did I would cross that bridge when it happened and thankfully it didn’t. Good luck MaiT, it sounds like your prognosis is excellent xx

• Hi MaiT

Best wishes for your up and coming surgery. My son was 9 when I was diagnosed with cancer. I was also worried about how to tell him.  I think just telling them what they need to know in a simple way they can understand is good. You could tell them you may be a bit poorly after your op and this is normal. Reassure them you are going to be in good hands and if they have any worries don't be afraid to ask you and not to keep things to themselves.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Nicky

• Hi Mait

Childrens’ priorities never cease to amaze me. The bit about school dinners rings so true. I agree with the others. I’m sure they will take it in their stride. After all they don’t need chapter and verse which they wouldn’t understand anyway. 
    Good  luck it sounds as if you are in excellent hands. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • My surgery went well and I’ve started eating and drinking on my own a few days ago. Just a minor setback that brought me back to hospital yesterday; I have a small opening on surgical site causing liquids to come up my nose when I drink. The doctors are trying to resolve that. I feel kinda like a baby cause I’ve gone from being fed through a tube to drinking fluids and now on a purée diet. 

• You were so right about the movicol. I went a whole week without any bowel movement! The pain has been well managed and not as bad as I imagined. 

• Well at least they are on top of it. Chin up. Your head sound in a much better place now. Xx

Dani 

Community Champion badge