Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

1 chemo session left to go then what?

skyeceilo
Posted by

Hi everyone

Dad had his 5th chemo yesterday so we now only have one left to go then the hospital will leave him to get on with his life until symptoms start showing again.

He has done so well with his treatment - still has his hair and has put on 1 1/2 stone in weight. he is now over 12stones. We have now put him on a diet to maintain the weight as he has a poddgy tummy haha! He has got himself a bike to start cycling to try and get as fit as he was at the begining of the year. The family also resuced a greyhound the other month and he has been taking it out for walks twice a day as well as helping my hubby build a wood shed, lay 2 lots of flooring in our house, learning the woodwork we do to sale, redecorating my brothers flat as well as doing bits at his house. He is fighting all the way.

We now have to look into the next step into treatment for him so we can stay 2 steps ahead of this cancer. we are looking into an immunology study that should be starting soon as well as a few other options that another doctor we have found is willing to help dad with.

Fingers crossed we can keep this cancer at bay for many many years.

Skye xx

I will never give up on you Dad

Chris999
Posted by
I truly do hope so Skye. He has done really well to manage gaining weight as well as have chemo. A man to admire and an inspiration to others too. Hope things keep on getting better for your Dad and your family. Chris xxxx
Grandma fox
Posted by
I am so pleased to hear he is doing well and putting on weight. Please don't stop him eating, he may need those fat reserves later on. I hope so much that he continues to get better and betterxxxx
Steve-W
Posted by
I agree with grandma fox let him put on a little weight he will need the reserves but keep up the fitness training also good luck Steve w
rhianj08
Posted by
Hi Skye, really glad to hear that your dad is doing so well, thinking of you all xx
skyeceilo
Posted by

Thank you everyone

Chris my dad is an inspiration the way he is determined to fight. We have a friend who is 6mths ahead of him with incurable OC. He has been off chemo and meds for 6mths now and the cancer is still stable - in fact last week he was told that the primary  tumour had shrunk again slightly. So my dad is aimming to be like our friend.

My Mum is the biggest inspiration as she is trying so hard to keep it together while looking after my nan as well as putting up with her own problems (arthristis in the ankle). She does need to look after herself as she is still not sleeping at night and is worrying all the time about "the end". I have told her that dad is further from death than he was back in May and as he is doing really well so just enjoy the time and relax for now.

We are trying to get dad referred but his consultant is putting up a fight. Some consultant just wont let go. He knows that dad will need more treatment in the future but he just wants to give him more chemo to relieve the syptoms. I have asked 4 times now Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hugs

Skye xxxx

Fdivor
Posted by
Hello Skye, so happy to hear that your Dad is doing so well, it must be such a relief that he is responding. What treatment was/is he on? My OH has OC with mets to his liver and lungs a very clean living and fit 59 yr old seems so unfair know where your Mum is coming from re worry and sleepless nights ... he is her 2 positive so that should give him some protection, he was diagnosed in June 14 but is finding the chemo tough going he was on ecx will be hcx for his 3rd treatment, he has lost about 2stone any tips re food, Dx
Chris999
Posted by
Skye, you keep on fighting sweetheart because your battle has got your Dad where he is today. Chris xxxx
skyeceilo
Posted by

Thanks Chris. Im a bad tempted red head at the best of times and his consultant already knows that from the time when we were not happy when they said no beds for him to have his 2nd chemo so I marched the family up to the hospital got past security and waited fir him in his out of sight office.  He was scared stiff.

D can your hubby eat? Some people may not agree with me but he has to eat regardless of how he feels my dad stopped eating and we basically forced fed him at the beginning.  He eats normally now bread meat the lot and we still give him those energy build up drinks in case he lacks any nutrients that day. He has weetabix with flax seeds or fruit and fibre with bits of apple toasted in cinninmon. Freshly squeezed orange juice. Manuka honey, cod liver oil capsule. Lunch he has watercress with maybe a steak panni or egg. Tea will be mainly stir fry with kale, garlic, turmeric and black pepper. Also has liver once a week and lots of treats. He has been drinking ribena, water to flush the kidneys, not so much tea and coffee but hot chocolate. He used to drink lucazade but now stopping that as he does not need it now. 

Fdivor
Posted by
Thank you so much for replying ...it means a lot, sometimes feel very alone with this don't want to panic the kids!
Yes he is eating a little but I will take on board all you have said re diet ..Especially keeping up his calorie intake I am sure that is key to any cancer patients survival. Will keep you posted and good luck with your immunotherapy quest, Dx
skyeceilo
Posted by

No probs d. You are not alone. If you or your hubby want to talk to my dad then he is more than willing to have a chat. It might even help him. You can phone him or he can phone you if you wish. Just pm me. Thats the same for anyone who reads this.

Hugs

Skye

Fdivor
Posted by
Thanks for replying am a novice at this ..how do I private message you? Dx
skyeceilo
Posted by

Ive sent you a friends request. If you go to your area you shoukd see it

Skyexx

skyeceilo
Posted by

Hi d i have pmd you. if you log in and hit the community home tab you will see my message

hugs

skye