Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

:o(

Great-Mugwort
Posted by

I have been a member on here for a while but just a silent observer. This is my first post - Such a dilemma whether to post or not. I didn't want to appear just to post with sad news and make everyone feel really low, but felt i needed to... does that make sense?

Dad has had Oesophagus cancer for 18 months and has undergone one session of chemo, however he reacted so badly with it that he ended up in intensive care and hospital for 7 weeks.  That was ruled out and because it had hit him so bad any operations were also ruled out.  He had 6 lots of radiotherapy and appeared content.  That was all last Christmas.... So a year later (a whole year, i think it's fantastic he has managed it) and now he is in hospital unable to eat or drink again.  We had the results of his scans from last week and they have confirmed that it has now spread to his stomach and lungs..  He is getting worse by the day and we have been warned it could be days or weeks.

We knew it was coming but i still feel like i have been hit by a lorry.  I am going to see him tonight and i don't want it to be the last time... :o(

susan louise
Posted by

Hi Great Mugwort

Of course you did the right thing posting here. I go for ages without posting as I like to hear how everyone's doing.  The thing is you are not a voice in the wilderness on this site. People understand and often offer useful suggestions.

I wonder if they will fit your Dad with a feeding tube and give him some palliative chemo (much less aggressive than the stuff he previously was given) if you ask for it?  My husband has secondaries all over the place now but is chugging along on chemo ....it's quite hard though waiting for the sword of Damacles to fall at any time..but it's worth it.

There is another group on here where you may find useful ...'living with a terminally ill parter' (or something similar).

Big hug to you and your parents

Sue x

Great-Mugwort
Posted by

Thanks for your message of suport Sue :o) - Dad is already being fed by PEG and they have started Oramorph on him as well.  We know what is coming, and i don't want to see him suffer at all but i am being selfish because i don't want him to go either ;O(

susan louise
Posted by

Stupid of me to think they wouldn't feed him.  Of course you don't want him to go. I'm so, so sorry.

Hugs

Sue x