Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

:-( Poorly dad

Cavvie_Lover
Posted by

Hi there, would like to update you all -

Dad had bad reaction to ECX... but the liver mets have improved..

However...............

Dad started radio two weeks ago 10 sessions  - and has been so poorly with it... and this weekend he is awfuls; pain, nausea (nothing there) and no able to swallow....

On last radio he was going to be admitted as he is dehydrated... consultant told us that this is worst rection he has seen....but sort of got out of it.. but me and mum have had to cope with it all weekend... mum told him that tomorrow he will have to go... we are not coping with this...

I am so scared, he looks awful and has given up.. I hate this bloody disease...

'Bad Year' is now a 'Good Year'

Hi

I know you must be very concerned about your dads symptoms, he is proberly depressed along with being confused by the lack of fluid, so try not to pressure him too much, do try to get his fluids up and ask him how he want's to proceed, I also had a bad reaction to this treatment and had to stop it. Try to stay calm around your dad which will help him come to the right decision about whether he should to go to hospital; you are right this bloody disease is scary for everyone it touches, rememer a few sips of water as often as he can take it.

Take care,

Steve 

marianne l
Posted by

Hi my husband had ECX chemo which he sailed through but when he had radio 6months later last july it completely knocked him for six ,he was admitted to hosp 2 days after the 10 sessions had finished as he was completely dehydrated due to the fact that he couldn't even keep sips of water down,I wish he had never had it. In oct he had a stent fitted which worked wonders and up until a few days ago he was eating quite a varied diet but suddenly we have had to go back to soups and smoothies as the more solid food will not go down,as you said I too hate this damn disease it is so awful to watch someone you love suffer so much.

My thoughts are with you and all your family.

love Marianne.x