Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

cold clammy sweats

wendy t
Posted by

I keep getting cold and clammy sweats where sometimes I just can't get warm even though my temperature  and BP is o.k.  Can anyone tell my why please?

crystalclear
Posted by

Hi Wendy, welcome to the group.  Having looked at your profile you haven’t said how far into your treatment you are or what the proposed treatment plan is, but I’ll try to answer the question on your profile, as well as the one you’ve asked here.

It’s unproven that oesophageal cancer responds less well to chemotherapy, in fact many of these tumours do respond well, but everyone is different and will respond in different ways to their treatments.  Some people find they have allergic reactions to some of the drugs used in the chemo, others find that they have nausea, whilst others don’t have any problem.  I’m sorry to read that in your case it seems not to have responded well.  Has your oncologist kept you informed as to what is happening regarding the tumour and advised you on your continued treatment?

With regards to the cold, clammy sweating, this is one of the symptoms of many cancers, but also it is one of the side-effects of chemotherapy drugs.  It’s also a symptom post-surgery of dumping syndrome.  I sympathise with this because I too suffered with this so that the bed sheets or my clothes were often drenched and it’s really unpleasant and uncomfortable.  The only thing that helps to relieve it is to use wet wipes, a cool fan and my favourite cure-all drink of Elderflower cordial obtainable from large supermarkets.  If you are cold as well then a warm flannel helps a little too.

You might have a look at this link which gives you lots of info on oesophageal cancer and its treatments:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Gulletoesophagus/Gulletcancer.aspx

Take care Wendy and keep in touch to let us know how you get on as you’ll find good support here and friendly help and advice.

Crystal xx