Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Discussions re Oesophageal Cancer...

'Bad Year' is now a 'Good Year'

Hi David

Good news things are getting better, I found swimming really helpful for the sort of pains you are having. There is nothing like a good swim and a long hot shower to make you feel good and you won't pull anything as swimming is gentle on the body.

Regards,

Steve

midnightangler
Posted by

Hi Steve

Thanks for the advise.  Must though say that I did try swimming.  However, the pool was packed and found it dificault to try and swim (I'm not much of a swimmer anyway only started to learn last year and could only manage half a lenth) so was put off going.  Perhaps I chose the wrong time to go (senior swim, half price session)  Should have gone for the early morning session, but still find it hard to get up before 9am  :-)  I will though make the effot and try again next week.

Regards David

'Bad Year' is now a 'Good Year'

Hi David

You don't have to swim, just jogging on the spot and exercising your arms and shoulders while the weight of the water supports you is good enough to start with followed by gentle breast stroke, the thing is if your muscles become too sedentary around the affected areas the longer it will take to heal and the nerves endings to settle down again. I found it also helped with my breathing and stamina without putting too much strain on me.

Keep up the good work,

Steve

crystalclear
Posted by

Hi David, Welcome back and I remember you saying a couple of months ago how tired you were feeling.  This is the main problem post surgery and almost all of us suffer from this many months afterwards.  Fortunately for some, they do overcome it to some extent, but for others it’s an ongoing problem.  My GP has recently diagnosed my tirednss as cancer-related fatigue and this is two and a half years after surgery.  Having said that, there are good days too so it’s not all bad and as I said, many more people do get over this problem.

The physiotherapy will be good for the shoulder, but I agree with Steve that swimming, or water exercise, is by far the best as the water takes the weight of your body whilst you exercise.  You also need to do mild aerobic exercise for the chest and lungs and again swimming is ideal, or walking.  Finally, a good massage works wonders too, especially for relaxing the muscles and for soothing the mind.  I used to go to a professional health studio for a proper massage and it just made me feel so energised.

I admire the fact that you’re using the time to learn new skills.  Keep practicing the guitar and you might be the next Steve Vai, or even Slash from Guns n Roses Lol.  Take good care David, Crystal xx