We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus.
Here is the
We will update it regularly.
I’m devastated. Got the dreaded call. Robs operation will not be taking at Hammersmith hospital on 16th April because there are no icu beds. I don’t want him to die. They won’t let him die will they?
Hi George-Mildred , I am so sorry to hear that. This is the side of Coronavirus that people don't seem to understand at all. My heart goes out to you.
Love and hugs,
LoobyLouIf you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish.
Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you
Good morning, you must be totally devastated I am so sorry. My husband went through all his treatment in 2015-2016 and although there was no coronavirus then the thought of cancellation was always on our minds. I totally understand that although this virus is affecting everyone you probably push it to the back of your mind as your hubby is your main priority. I think if MICK was going through it now the virus would be taking second place over the chance of him having treatment and that may be selfish but it’s a reality. Keep,strong and hope these measures of lockdown help the spread quickly and your hubby gets his treatment soon. Speak to the CNS and explain how you feel and what you can do in the mean time to avoid spread. Stay strong here if you need any advice xxxx Helen xxx
Thank you Helen. I’m just so upset. Especially when you see people abusing the government’s guidelines on social distancing. They will be taking up my husbands icu beds. I’m fuming.
Hi George- Mildred,
I wrote on the other thread. I can totally see your concern and worry. Undertaking that operation now must be very risky - it involves a lung deflation to start with. A Covid19 infection would be catastrophic for him. I was always told my many oncologists that human cancers do not grow that fast and he’s likely to have had it for many years already. It wasn’t due to have it for 3 weeks anyway. Just wait and see what happens - a delay of a few weeks is unlikely to make much difference especially as these operations are often cancelled anyway.
The people not social distancing are annoying me so much (my mum just shouted at someone and he told her he paid his taxes) but the majority of people I’ve seen in Chiswick have been good. From watching my dad I do not think even if we had the choice now that I would want him getting operated on just yet- it is a huge operation and he’d be in a room with Covid19 patients. Just hold tight and await further contact from the hospital. Message whenever you feel like it. Xxx
Oh thank you so much for replying to me. When you put it like that it does make me feel better. Especially if the cancer can be slow growing. I will speak to the oncologist as well and see what she says. But you are so right. How would he know that a nurse treating him hasn’t got the virus. And a deflated lung as you said would be catastrophic. I suppose I’ve got in my head that they won’t operate on him at all and just let him die. Robert was diagnosed T2N0M0 at the start so it is early. My mental health is destroyed. Robert won’t say much other than swear about the people who do not adhere to the social distancing rules. Such selfish people. I don’t think they realise how serious this is. My friends husband died of corona virus last week. He was 50 years old and leaves behind a wife and two young boys. I’ve not seen her for about a year so we’ve not had any contact. I’m keeping my Robert inside and not letting anyone in. I even bleach the mail that comes through the door!!! And I used to chuckle at Robert because of his ocd!! Thank you again for replying to me. Xxxx
You’re welcome. I think it’s best to keep him safe inside for now and just wait and see what happens. I know I’ve wiped down all the food from the supermarket but don’t know what to do about the tomatoes (I’m wondering what’s next haha).
Take care xxx
I just wanted to send you a big virtual hug and I hope this madness is over quickly. His team will look after him and keeping him safe from any germs is so important especially right now.
My husband has just started flot chemo and the plan is for surgery mid June, but as this goes on I'm worried what will happen too, but got to take each day as it comes, although the nurse came in toflush his picc line today and asked if he's having chemo next week, as we haven't heard anything I'm hoping it's on but now I'm over thinking and that she knows something we dont
Hi so sorry it's been cancelled how is Rob eating now have a word with gi nurse after my op I went to have staples out surgeon came to c me and said everything was good also said biopsys don during were all clear and was before op but he could never be sure till op done so hopefully Rob is the same good luck and hope he,s ok
Thank you for replying John. Honestly you wouldn’t believe Rob was ill. He eats normal, he can eat absolutely anything! he is well, he’s Doing all the things he normally does. The nurses said that his latest scan couldn’t even see the tumour. So the chemo has worked. They are contacting private hospitals now so fingers crossed xx
Hi that,s exactly like I was I had chemo and radiotherapy every day for 5 weeks ongolist told me he could cure me without op but I did not believe him after wat surgeon said after op surgeon said it was gone before the op but I wanted to go ahead to make sure it had gone so a delay might be good for Rob the way things are now. 8 months on from op I feel brilliant have had 3 holidays abroad but a delay will not do any harm as surgeon said to me again good luck let me know
We also just received the dreaded call on Friday evening. My Hubby Alan is about to get his final FLOT chemo this coming Thursday before preparing for his Oesophagectomy. His plan of care was 4 FLOT chemo sessions - surgery - a further 4 FLOT chemo sessions, however, we have now been told that his surgery is cancelled as there's no guarantee of an icu bed following the op and that 'probably' his FLOT will continue and he'll get all 8 sessions prior to surgery (if surgery is able to go ahead in 8 weeks time). I have tried googling to see if there is any record of this plan of care, i.e. the 8 sessions then the surgery but can find nothing, I'm worried in case he is being used as a guinea pig. I am also extremely worried about him attending the hospital for all these sessions as his immune system will be compromised. I don't know who to speak to - his surgeon is off at the moment and his oncologist just doesn't get back to us. Would be devastated if 'bad timing' caused a completely avoidable death or further suffering.
Thank you John xx
My husband was told that he may have to have more chemotherapy too because of the cancelled operation. The nurses told me they are communicating with private hospitals with icu to see if they can help. It’s such a worry. I was so worried about my husband having the operation now I’m worried he won’t get it. This virus has come at the worst time possible.
Safe payments by:
We're here to provide physical, financial and emotional support. So whatever cancer throws your way, we're right there with you.
© Macmillan Cancer Support
© Macmillan Cancer Support, registered charity in England and Wales (261017), Scotland (SC039907) and the Isle of Man
(604). Also operating in Northern Ireland. A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales company
number 2400969. Isle of Man company number 4694F. Registered office: 89 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7UQ. VAT no: