Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

No chemo, fitness for surgery question

Em1234
Posted by

Today we have been told that my dad will not be able to have chemo due to a spine infection he is recovering from. 

His adenocarcinoma is now classed as t2n1m0. 

He will undergo the cpax or cpex test Tuesdaybasically fitness for major surgery test to determine whether surgery will be an option and whether radio to kill the tumor or paletive radio will be an option.

Has anyone found themselves in this situation? How did you find the fitness test? 

Any info greatly appreciated.

Zappaman
Posted by

Hi Em, you don't say what age your dad is and general health condition. I was diagnosed with T3 N2 M0 staging and I didn't do gym workout or much in the way of physical work. I didn't have any other health problems, I had lost a lot of weight and I didn't have any treatment prior to surgery. I can't remember the fitness test, I had an ECG and I think my lung capacity and breathing tested. I had been a smoker for about 45 years and I was 57 years of age at the time. I am now 3 years and 5 months post surgery and  regained all the weight I had lost. Good luck and kind regards Frank.