Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Heceptin, targeted therapy

Marydoll123
Posted by
  1. Hi, my husband has advanced cancer of the gullet with a tumour also in his liver. He was diagnosed in September 2019, and prognosis without chemotherapy was 3-6 months. He has been told it is terminal. Fortunately he can have targeted therapy for the tumour in his liver. He has now finished his chemotherapy and on heceptin every 3 weeks. I am wondering if anyone else in this group has had a loved one in a similar situation? I wonder about how long this treatment might keep the cancer at bay. He has his own shop, which has been closed, but he plans to reopen this. I support him in whatever he wants to do, but there is also a part of me that worries how long, I know he is choosing to go back to work but I feel this is partly due to his strong work ethic and need to provide. I wonder will he have the strength, physically, he definitely has mentally 
Mary 
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that your husband has advanced gullet cancer with a secondary in his liver.

I don't have the experience you're looking for but noticed that your post hadn't had any responses yet. By replying to you it will 'bump' your post back to the top of the page where it'll be more easily seen.

You might also benefit from joining and posting in the secondary liver cancer group. If you'd like to do this just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your husband's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Foxthatrocks
Posted by

Hi Marydoll, my husband was diagnosed with the same condition as your husband in July 2019. He has had 8 rounds of chemotherapy and five of Herceptin every three weeks. He is doing alright except for side effects of hand and foot syndrome due to chemo. What Ken is focusing on is that his Macmillan Nurse told us about a man who was the same as Ken and has been on Herceptin and is doing very well after two years. We know everyone is different but it does give you some hope. Hope this is a little helpful and good luck with your journey. It would be good to keep in touch.

Sue

Marydoll123
Posted by

Thanks Sue, this gives me a lot of hope, I’m sure you understand that the not knowing is difficult. It sounds like your husband has had the same amount of chemo as Tim my husband, Tim suffered badly as well with his feet and hands, he ended up having steroid cream which really helped. Tim is just starting to get his strength back now his chemo has finished. Yes it would be good to keep in touch 

Mary