Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Gentlemen on here who had a blog of his journey but now I can’t find him

George-Mildred
Posted by

Good evening everyone 

last night I was scrolling through and I found a gentleman on here who had a blog/ web talking about his journey and showing photos of his surgery. I was tired when I read it and I can’t remember who it was. Can anyone point me in the right direction please so I can show my husband. 
many thanks 

Judy 

Luv Chox
Posted by

Hi Judy,

Could it be Silverfox65 ? 

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention
George-Mildred
Posted by

Ah could be. I’ll check. Thank you xxx

SCANDSA
Posted by

think it could be this Judy from silverfox

myoesophagealcancerjourney.wordpress.com/

George-Mildred
Posted by

Ah thank you so much xxxx

SCANDSA
Posted by

here is another excellent blog Judy by Niffler.

https://oesophagectomylife.co.uk/

Ricky.

Silverfox65
Posted by

Thanks SCANDSA & Luv Chox - yes that's my site

Hello George- Mildred - feel free to ask any questions anytime .

I'm actually back at the hospital this afternoon to catch up with my Surgeon and give some bloods - standard check up stuff I hope as I'm feeling healthier than I have in Years !!

I hope your hubby has a safe and successful journey - keep as positive as can be.

Best Wishes for Christmas and 2020 - we will all be rooting for you 

SCANDSA
Posted by

Good luck this afternoon pete, merry xmas to you and yours.....

George-Mildred
Posted by

Thank you so much. We got results from his staging operation and thankfully it hasn’t spread. So they are offering him chemo which starts on the 9th January then hopefully when that’s done and he’s well they can proceed with the operation to cut this bloody thing out of him. So a long journey ahead. Thank you for your blog. It gives us an idea of what is ahead. I just don’t want any hiccups so we can just get on with the operation. I make that sound so straight forward. If only!  Hope your check up goes ok 

judy xxx

Silverfox65
Posted by

Hi Judy

That's really great news !! The advances in the medical world get stronger everyday - best of luck with your Journey

Pleased to report all well with me = so far, so good .... Surgeon really pleased with my recovery [ main op was Sept 2017] , I left bloods and will get that result too. Also very fortunate to still be working full time and so have private medical which means I can get scanned every 6 months - back in the CT tube Mid January.

Enjoy Christmas , best you can and as always ask any questions at anytime - you already know there's a strong community here to genuinely offer as much positive support as possible x

George-Mildred
Posted by

Glad everything went well for you yesterday.  We will have a better Christmas now after those good biopsy results yesterday. I’m nervous about the chemotherapy and side effects but at least now he is getting treatment. I’ve got prescription moisturiser for him just in case his skin on his hands suffer as he suffers from dry hands anyway. Can I just ask is there anything else you can suggest? I’ve been giving him smoothies veg/fruit and also every other day juicing.  I just want to be able to do everything I can for him to help him through this. I hope I’m doing it right. It’s so difficult to know. I’ve read conflicting things. Juicing not juicing. I’m hoping the chemo nurse can give me more advice. 
Happy Christmas to you 

Judy xx

Silverfox65
Posted by

Thanks Judy ,

I guess you wont know just yet exactly what kind of Chemo your hubby will have ? I had ECX , which was a 9 week course pre op and then again post op...

I was fortunate not to have any skin / hands issues until the post op session and I had recommended udder cream - you can see it on Amazon -  type in ' Udderly Smooth Moisturising Cream' - it comes from the veterinary world and is brilliant ! 

As for juicing / blending - a great investment, a blender meant particularly post op I could eat exactly what my Wife and daughter were having ....just blitzed up a bit  [ I'd also recommend   soup maker ] .  You're right to ask your dietitian about juicing / blending greens and fruits etc as I think it depends on exactly what Chemo you have ....some things are no's no's and I think that's why It can seem confusing - they will know best as what you may think is logical may not work when you are having certain types of Chemo .

All the Best

Pete x.

George-Mildred
Posted by

Thank you Pete, I will certainly look that up and purchase some anyway just in case. It’s so good to talk to you all on here. It makes us feel like we are no longer lonely in all of this 

xxx