Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Pain/lump in throat

George-Mildred
Posted by

Good evening everyone, 

My husband has oesophageal cancer and he is now waiting for his chemo to start on 9th January. 
But he is now complaining that he has a lump/pain in his throat by his Adam’s apple. In the last couple of weeks he had is endoscopy ultrasound then had a general anaesthetic last Friday for his staging operation so more tubes went down his throat. It’s making him extremely anxious and he is convinced that he has cancer in his throat now. I called the nurse but she said the ct scans and endoscopy didn’t show up anything in his throat and doesn’t have a clue what it is.  The cancer is at the lower end of his oesophagus. I think it might be to do with tubes etc going down his throat and maybe made it sore. 
Can anyone please give me some advice or has anyone else suffered from this?  
He was T2N0M0 on the last endoscopy on November 25th but he is scared that it’s spread now and that’s why he is getting this feeling in his throat. He can eat anything and doesn’t have trouble swallowing food. He said he thinks it gets worse at night and feels like something is stuck in his throat. He is drinking water to try and ease it. 
Any help or advice to put our minds at rest will be greatly received. 
Many thanks

Judy x

Zappaman
Posted by

Hi Judy, try telling your husband to be a bit more position and to stop looking for trouble. Having a positive attitude really does help. It's my understanding that it won't spread or grow this quickly. If he thinks about it, how long did it take before he had any symptoms? If he is eating ok that's a good sign, I was diagnosed with T3 N2 M0 staging. I couldn't even drink the ensure milkshakes before the surgery. Good luck and kind regards, Frank.

Zappaman
Posted by

It should read more positive not position, bleeding predictive text.

George-Mildred
Posted by

Thank you Frank. You are right!  This cancer does make your mind think all sorts and turns you into a quivering wreck. He can eat and drink ok at the moment. I’m hoping that the chemo shrinks it and he doesn’t get to that stage. Did you have chemotherapy before your surgery and if so did it help you eat better or shrink it? 
Thanks again for replying to me 

Judy x

Zappaman
Posted by

Hi Judy, we all probably went through a lot of what your husband is going through mentally. The mind can run riot I was up and down like a rollercoaster for a couple of weeks. I didn't have any treatment prior to surgery, having been a smoker for about 45 years  I didn't fancy the chemotherapy and radiotherapy prior to having my right lung collapsed for about 9 hours. That was my choice and I have no regrets. Being positive really does help, although it may sound strange that how can you be positive in this situation. I always have had a strange sense of humour, sometimes dark and I found it helped. The optimist sees light at the end of the tunnel. The pessimist sees the light as the train heading right for him. The train driver sees two idiots on the train tracks. My consultant said without treatment he would give me 6 months. So I punched and kicked him. The judge gave me 2 years! Tell your husband to eat whilst he can and there are many success stories here. Take care and kind regards Frank.

George-Mildred
Posted by

Thanks Frank. Your comment about the train driver  made us laugh which is something we haven’t done for a while. 
Judy xx