Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Bombshell dropped - that wasn’t expected.....

Bri1958
Posted by

Thanks Luv Chocs, Peter and Ricky!

All in all, we’ve had a lovely weekend, the sun was out, the TR behaved herself (for once), we had a great day with the kids and grandchildren and we’ve had a lovely long walk on the beach today.

Now we wait.... colonoscopy first, which I hope will confirm polyps in the bowel as per scans done some years ago.  Then we await an appointment to meet my oncologist for the first time. 

"While I breathe, I hope"

Dum Spiro Spero
“While I breathe, I hope”
Yani10
Posted by

Hi Bri,

Sorry to read all this, I'm new to it all myself as my husband has recently been diagnosed with stage 4, so not sure I can offer any help but did want to send you good wishes and support and tell you to stay strong.  You're probably finding like me also that this forum has some lovely folks.  

Great to know you're staying positive and having nice days out - definitely continue that!  Will keep an eye on your posts and wishing you the best 

Bri1958
Posted by

Thanks Yani.  Much appreciated!

You’re right, everyone here is so supportive which makes such a difference when you’re perhaps feeling at your most vulnerable emotionally.  

The advice, guidance and support I’ve already received here has been wonderful and has helped get me through at least a couple of periods of despair.

Definitely keeping as positive a mindset as possible, even while waiting for the Moviprep to perform its magic before tomorrow’s colonoscopy.....  Then it’ll be my first meeting with the oncologist on Thursday, so hopefully the picture will become clearer then.

How are you and your husband managing?  It’s such a torturous time for partners as well as patients

Best wishes 

Brian

Dum Spiro Spero
Luv Chox
Posted by

Hi Brian,  Just wanted to wish you well for your upcoming procedure and first meeting with the oncologist. When you have some answers and a treatment plan in place at least you will be able to rest easier, the waiting and uncertainty is tough on you and your family. So, good luck, I will be thinking of you X

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention
Bri1958
Posted by

Aw, thanks Luv Chox!

In between dashes to the loo, your message was a very welcome surprise 

xxx

Dum Spiro Spero
Bri1958
Posted by

Evening all!

A quick update:

Colonoscopy done - nothing sinister apparent, three small benign polyps which have been there for years.  Consultant advised me that he wouldn’t remove them now as he didn’t want to introduce any infection risk knowing my next stage of treatment.

First meeting with the Oncologist - such a welcome relief, a consultant with great people skills!  We discussed my story, her understanding, etc.  When she realised I’ve worked around aircraft all my life she asked if I suffer from tinnitus (yep) and we also discussed the note I’d had put on my file that I carry Factor V Leiden in my blood (my son has suffered DVTs).  So she wasn’t ready to confirm my chemotherapy regime until she’s talked to a haematologist she shares an office with then, she’ll be able to progress.  She’s also waiting for blood test results to confirm (or not) if I’ll be HER2 receptive.

Overall.... feeling pretty positive, I really found my oncologist encouraging and able to communicate at my level.

Dum Spiro Spero
Silverfox65
Posted by

Thanks for the update Brian.

Keep positive. Sounds like you have great support from the medical team too.

Best Wishes

Pete

Yani10
Posted by

Hi Brian,

Good news on the colonoscopy!  Also that you've met your oncologist too who sounds great - this is all really positive. 

Thanks for asking about us, yes indeed it's a horrible time as you know, but we keep eachother positive and have agreed to take it one step at a time.  I have to say I'm not that keen on our oncologist though, none of the communication or people skills you talk about there!  

Sending you much love and positivity :) 

Luv Chox
Posted by

Hi Brian,  Wonderful news, that's one thing crossed off the worry list.  Good news about the Oncologist too, if only all healthcare  professionals were as forthcoming and helpful.  Have a lovely weekend, my very best wishes to you and your family XX

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention
Bri1958
Posted by

Another update:

We had a chat with my oncologist today....  She’s had a chance to check with the haematologist and my being a Factor V Leiden carrier shouldn’t be an issue with any chemo treatment.  She’s also factored in my tinnitus.  My cancer is not HER2 positive so she’s looking at using EOX for me, 3 x 3 week cycles, then another CT scan

Again, feeling pretty positive and ready to go! 

Dum Spiro Spero