Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Oesophageal cancer

Zappaman
Posted by

Chris that's great news and I'll bet it was the best egg sandwich ever! It fills you with joy, just the pleasure of eating again. It doesn't have to be the most expensive food just whatever you fancy. Good luck with the rest of the stretches, kind regards Frank.

Chris1973
Posted by

It’s been now 4 weeks since my first gullet stretch and it’s stopped working , just as bad as it was before I had about a week of being able to eat soft food now can’t even do that , had a second stretch booked for Friday the 4th but now that was changed to the 16th I feel like I’m going out of my mind not being able to eat anything gets stuck I just vomit and then I can’t get liquid down it’s frustrating and getting me down , has anyone else had this problem after the gullet stretch 

Chris 

Jackie007
Posted by

Hi Chris yes I have had similar problems I would have a stretch and eating would be great but then it would shrink back again , I have now had 8 last one 6 weeks ago and everything is really good , keep preserving it will get better .

Chris1973
Posted by

Thanks for the reply Jackie , I had my second stretch yesterday and last time it didn’t hurt that bad but this time once the pain medication wore off it’s really sore and I’ll need at least one more stretch , did the stretch Hurt when you had it done ? 
thanks 

Chris 

Jackie007
Posted by

Hi Chris yes I find it quite painful as sometimes they inflate the ballon at least three times to get a bit bigger  but I have them give me fentanyl at the same time as the midazolam now and ido treeless anything , worth a try x

Chris1973
Posted by

Well so far so good , been 3 days since my last stretch , was really sore for the first couple of days but now easing off and seams to be working much better , had my first sit down meal with family since April and so far nothing is sticking , I have to take smaller mouthfuls and can’t eat a full meal , but managed and able to snack in between, feel normal for the first time in months.

Jackie007
Posted by

Hi CHris that’s brilliant news, I can also now eat with the family and be more social , it really makes a difference to your well being,I have needed 8 stretches to get this far as it always sees to go back a bit after a coupe of weeks but think it’s  finally settled now , hope things stay good for you and life just keeps getting back to normal x

Zappaman
Posted by

That's great news Chris, eating is such a pleasure we take for granted until we can't eat anything. Then when you can eat again it's sheer delight, and you will get to know what you can eat and how much is safe. Good luck and kind regards Frank.

Chris1973
Posted by

Thanks Frank that’s a over a week i since second stretch and now it’s agony again, I can swallow better but anything going down just really hurts Including liquid , waiting to hear back from nurse on Monday to see what they can do hopefully it’s just a bit inflamed and nothing else .

Zappaman
Posted by

Chris, sorry to hear that you are still having problems swallowing it makes me realize how fortunate I have been. Hopefully you will get a solution soon and start enjoying eating again. Good luck and kind regards Frank.