Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

6 months on from Ivor Lewis

Zappaman
Posted by

Sue, you and your husband have to decide what is best for him, the oncologist may give you advice. I was diagnosed with T3 N2 M0 adenocarcinoma at the stomach junction in July 2016. I didn't have any treatment and decided to have the surgery only. I have had no reccurance almost 3 years later. Some of the guys on here who have been through the chemotherapy treatment will let you know what they did but ultimately it's what you and your husband think what is best . Good luck and kind regards Frank.

PLF19
Posted by

Hi Oyita

First dose was just over 5 weeks following surgery. At that point he had recovered well and eating normally just smaller portion. The Flot has really set him back which we expected but maybe not this much.

Thank you

Sue

PingG25
Posted by

Hi Sue

thanks for that reply - my neighbour only managed one FLOT after surgery and stopped I will find out how he is and get back to you. 

I have looked at changes to my nutrition to help me - found this useful www.yestolife.org and www.flaxfarm.co.uk

regards

John

PingG25
Posted by

Dear Sue - thank you for all the information which is very helpful.

I hope you and your husband have a good visit to the Oncologist and get through this FLOT treatment and all its ups and downs.

My Oncologist said he had really no idea why it was decided on 4 as it probably depends more on each individual and how they react - some only tolerate one round - I could only tolerate 3 rounds.

Good luck with everything over the next few days and weeks.

Regards

John

oldsailor
Posted by

I had aT1a N0M0 in 2012 which culminated in surgery just 7 years ago. During this time I have experienced a couple of irritated anastomoses such that I had a couple of endoscopes, it was found to be minor inflammation. 

The outcome has been that I take 40mg pantoprazole mid day and 300mg if ranitidine  prior to going to bed, I also sleep propped to about 45deg. I still get heartburn but it’s resolved simply with antacids. 

I cant really answer the question only indicate that if there is cause for concern in my opinion any resolution be it private or not, it will stop or at least allay fears.