Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

The big C

Jellybean88
Posted by

Hello. Stumbled across this page and group. My Mother was recently diagnosed with Gullet cancer and three days later at an appointment to talk about treatment was told it was unfortunately terminal and treatment was not an option. After it moving very quickly Mum was given days to live. Now three weeks later she has been fighting the odds and staying strong while pain is managed through a morphine driver. I don’t really know the purpose of writing this other then to perhaps to say it out loud, or well type it. It’s very hard and guess if anyone had any advice or support it would be appreciated. Love to anyone dealing with a similar situation 

Helen1624
Posted by

Hi Jellybean I’m so sorry your post has not had any replies but I just wanted to say hi and we are all here for you. It must have been so hard all that news in such a short space of time. My hubby aged 50 was diagnosed in June 2015 and had chemo surgery chemo but it came back in September 2017 and he passed away exactly 18 months ago today 1st November aged 52. My hubby was diagnosed with a recurrence and within 4 weeks it had taken over. He dies peacefully in hospital with myself cuddled up to him on the bed and our children holding his hands with our close family around us. Don’t be afraid of the end Mick was very peaceful and just gently slipped away. Talk to your mum about all the special happy times and even if she’s not responding she can still hear you. She has done so well carrying on for 3 weeks she obviously a fighter. Love to you all for however long it takes and we will all still be here afterwards. Thinking of you. Love Helen xxxxx

SalCinnamon
Posted by

Hi Jellybean. It must have been such a shock to get this news and then for things to progress so quickly. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to process everything and also be there for your mum. My first post on here was also a cathartic experience and it did help . It sounds like after very different journeys with this disease,  your mum and my dad have reached the same point. My dad has been battling now for 7 weeks since he became very poorly and was bed ridden. He now has a hospital bed and carers four times daily, plus district and palliative nurses and doctors and his G.P. I hope you are getting the support you need. It's  so hard watching them suffer, isn't  it? My dad says he wants to go but I think he is worried about leaving my mum. We're all exhausted and I bet you are too. Nothing in the last two and a half years has prepared me for this and it must be harder for you not having had the time to prepare. Tell the nurses every little thing; I mentioned today that dad seems to have more restless and agitated this week and they increased his midazolam and it has helped. If your palliative care team are like dad's, they will be there 24/7 and are a great support.  It feels so lonely at times - even with other family who are helping too. I guess we're  all on our own private journey with our loved one.Please take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you and your mum. 

Sal x