Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

No treatment offered

bevb47
Posted by

Hi all, went to meeting with oncologist about more chemo  last week he stated that my husbands tumour had shrunk by half from the previous chemo last september, but unfortunately because his lung still has infection ( caused by first chemo) he is unable to have any more chemo, he's still at stage 1 N1 M0, and tumor is stable, I asked for radiotherapy, he said no, everything else we suggested , no, best he could offer was a scan on his lung in June and ( maybe) radiotherapy, I'm thinking of getting a 2nd opinion, he has very early stages of copd but nothing significant and otherwise healthy, he's eating very well with stent and gaining weight, I feel as though I'm just going to watch him rot away, its really hard after going through breast cancer myself and out of remission in July he was a rock . trying to jump every hurdle is hard work and stressful, he's had infection now for 14 weeks and not even antibiotics because of having intensive treatment for pneumonia last yr. What to do any suggestions? Thx all XBX

Struggling12
Posted by

Hello Bev

I lost my partner over 10 weeks ago and when I read your post it made me think of what happened to us.  He had an oesophagectomy 11 years ago and it was successful and then by chance they found a tumour in his oesophagus in Oct 17.  It was not a recurrence.  It was a new primary cancer T1N1M0 extremely rare but any operation would have been massive and he wasn't fit enough because of his chest.

My partner had mild copd so he was not given chemo only radiotherapy.  He had 4 weeks of curative radiotherapy but it didn't work.  The awful thing was the radiotherapy goes through the lungs to reach its target and my partner lost some of his lung function and struggled with his breathing. The treatment made things a lot worse and didn't cure and in the end he developed pneumonia.  We were told radiotherapy on its own was 30% successful.

I think what I'm saying is be aware and find out everything you can about what might happen.  I had that feeling about him being left to rot away too.  Query everything until you get an explanation you can accept and you can always get a second opinion.    Sorry that this is not a positive account.  I just don't want you to have any if only moments.  

Best wishes

bevb47
Posted by

Thx struggling12, so sorry you lost your partner, I'm trying so hard to research all the options which I did present to the oncologist, surgery of this kind is hard to get, the surgeons at Derby hospital only operate on 17% of patients. My husband is 54 and we've together for near 35 yrs, he said without the pneumonia he would probably of operated I've prayed so hard for this to clear up, the copd doesn't seem to concern him much but deflating with surgery the lung with probably bring the pneumonia back on. It seems to be ifs and buts, I've not long lost my dear dad to lung cancer which we didn't know he'd got he survived 27 days after diagnosis and I'm still trying to heal that shock so its brought the fight out in me as you can see but these walls seem to be getting higher xBevx