Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Cough

Garyb
Posted by

Hi all,

since surgery on January I have the worst tickle cough, it doesn’t produce anything really however it drives me up the wall, it’s worse when talking, walking and in the mornings.

Does anybody have experience of this post surgery?

Thanks 

Nothing worthwhile comes easy.
Zappaman
Posted by

Hi Gary, I didn't suffer from the cough you mentioned, but I read recently that marshmallows can help soothe a tickly cough. Maybe it will pass, good luck with your recovery and kind regards Frank.

Garyb
Posted by

Thanks Frank,

ill certainly try it. I know there has been a lot of changes around that area during the Operation so I’m not overly worried just annoyed. Addenbrookes tomorrow so I’ll post what they reckons going on.

cheers 

Nothing worthwhile comes easy.
Niffler
Posted by

Hi Gary

I had the cough after surgery. I coughed so much in the first few weeks especially when eating. It does get better though. I think by 12 weeks it was hardly noticeable and now only very occasional. Acid reflux tends to make me cough but if that is ok... no coughing. 

Hope yours is the same... a few people have had the same issue. It maybe a combination of the dry gases with the anaesthetic or like you say... lots going on with the nerves etc in the chest. 

Diagnosed OC in Jan 2018, keyhole surgery May 2018
Personal blog www.oesophagectomylife.co.uk