Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Biopsy detects can we cells, CT shows nothing PET scan ordered.

Zantri
Posted by

RANT YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

So, after going through Ivor Lewis in August 2016 chemo and radiotherapy things were going well until I had issues swallowing, endoscopy & booked quickly & shows a polyp, a small growth, biopsies taken, CT Scan booked, that was yesterday, got call today from lovely nurse Sarah Who I see with consultant every 6 months, CT Scan has shown up nothing but biopsies have cancer cells. So PET scan has now been ordered so my wonderful consultant & his amazing team can determine the plan of action so I a bit peed off.

annoyed, sad, angry, also scared if I am honest. I don’t want to go through that crap again but I know I will fight with everything I have got as I am not a quitter I am a pragmatist. I way up the odds, those are not yet known & yes it’s bad but could be worse so I will listen to my consultant & his team & see what they suggest. 

IT SUCKS

Zantri

xx 

BrentS
Posted by

Zantri,

I can understand all those emotions you must be feeling now and none of them positive.

But a polyp even one with cancerous cells, is by definition, a self contained finger-like growth rather than a lump-like tumour. So there is every chance that the cells haven’t spread outside the growth. But obviously they need to be sure - hence the scans. Presumably the polyp was removed during the endoscopy.

When I had my PET scan prior to my Ivor Lewis it showed some polyps in my colon. The surgeon said polyps are quite common but that they should be checked out. But really he was so unconcerned that I had to remind him a couple of weeks before my op that they still needed to be removed. They were duly removed by endoscopy and the histology came back clear.

Hopefully your PET scan will be done quite quickly and soon after your mind will be put at rest and you can get on with living. I certainly hope that will be the case. Thinking of you till then. Please keep us posted.

Counting the days, making every day count.

Brent

Zappaman
Posted by

Zantri, you are quite right to have a rant, it helps get out the anger. Sorry to hear about your news you are doing the right thing by being positive and hopefully the scan will be clear. Good luck and kind regards Frank.

Zantri
Posted by

BrentS,

thank you. They have not removed anything yet & I had all surrounding lymph nodes removed with gatrectomy so I am hoping risk of further dispersion is very low but it’s just annoying. 

Today is another day, off to London for work so will concentrate on that & do something fun at the wkd, visit national trust with my dog. 

All will be good & I will get through this. 

Zantri

xx

Zantri
Posted by

Frank, 

thank you, I do find a good rant shout & scream, usually in my car in my car or whilst out wandering with the dog, gets me a few worried glances from people who may hear, but it does make me feel bette, like opening a pressure valve, helps release the noise.

thank you, taking all the luck, positive energy & prayer coming my way.

Onwards & upwards

Zantri

xx