Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Being an efficient and caring carer.

jayceeh5
Posted by

That’s good news, so pleased for you both, a huge hurdle out of the way. No questions are daft, just ask away because it’s an unknown world and sometimes the obvious just doesn’t compute! The medical staff are doing their wonderful work so make sure to take care of yourself too.

susannabanana
Posted by

Hello, we've just had the long op and still in ICU with tubes and machines everywhere. The surgeon did the same surgery that you mention and seemed pleased with his skills.

Do you have any advice on recovery procedures? My husband does have a very positive attitude but sometimes I worry that he wants everything fixed too fast!

Suppose I just worry about it all.

Thank you

susannabanana
Zappaman
Posted by

Hi Susanna, that is great news about the operation going well, so you can put that fear to bed. I'm glad you are not too shocked by all the tubes and equipment. Tell your husband if he tries to rush his recovery too quickly you will kick him very hard in a delicate area. I know I was in LA la land for a few days because of the pain relief drugs I was on. Thankfully they found out quickly after the surgery that the epidural wasn't working for me and put me on strong stuff. I couldn't really remember that, my wife told me about it several days later. Take your husband some lip balm as he will not be allowed to drink for a few days, stop him getting cracked lips. I developed a chest infection which is not uncommon, and the wound became infected so I was on an antibiotic drip so I was kept in for 12 days. I'm really pleased for you and your family, please let us know how he is getting on and feel free to ask anything. Good luck and kind regards Frank.

BrentS
Posted by

Understandably you worry!

one piece of advice is to preserve with the breathing exercises as lung function is so important to getting back to normal. 

The other thing to remember is that although we are all keen to get out of hospital and home as soon as we can, things will always be more difficult at home than when we are being looked after on the ward. Both for him and you!

Tell him to measure progress by the number of tubes that are being removed. Soon he will be mobile and pushing his own drip stands around!

Counting the days, making every day count.

Brent

jayceeh5
Posted by

Worrying goes with the territory unfortunately, in a strange way I got used to it, never accepted it but found a way to cope.  I can obviously only make suggestions second hand, not like the others who have been through it personally and have much more up to date good advice.  Even though patients are hooked up to every gadget and gizmo (or that’s how it seems) the machines are doing their bit in the recovery process so my husband always felt he had to do his share too. As soon as he was able to he started gentle exercises (the physio wasn’t the best so he did his own thing!) and found it helped, once he was out of bed and in a chair he walked on the spot (still hooked up) as much as he could. The nurses kept offering more pain relief that was always refused, luckily the epidural was very effective.  It’s such an individual thing everyone has a different recovery so a bit of patience and a lot of determination and positivity is a great start, you’ll get there a day at a time.