Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer

Auldfarrt
Posted by

Good stuff. It sounds like this is all positive for him which is great. Glad to hear he's still able to work from home, saves thinking too much about "things".

Good news for you as well, so as you say it's win-win.

Take care

Martin

Gibbo9
Posted by

Hi Martin, Hi Frank

Had trouble downloading your mail this morning for some reason.

Martin, sorry, the book is called the demolished man and it's by Alfred Bester. I read it over 40 years ago so that explains why J got the title wrong.

Your jokes Martin are moving in the right direction, the mummy one is the best joke so far.I don't hear jokes Atall anymore so any I send will be dredged up from my memory banks, years ago I worked at a place where Monday morning always contained the jokes fellow workmates had heard over the weekend, some of them were in really poor taste and being in my early twenties and a bit immature at the time , I told a fair amount of poor taste jokes myself?

A work colleague saw Bob Dylan a couple of years ago, he wasn't performing his own songs, she walked out at the interval. I have got the tempest, one of Dylan's last studio albums. His voice has definitely gone. Couldn't understand it a couple of years ago when Dylan got the Nobel prize for literature and some of the literary snobs were up in arms about it because in their eyes he wasn't a proper poet?Dont suppose they ever read tangled up in blue, it's a work of unbridled poetic genius.

Glad to hear that Susan Boyle has kept her feet on the ground. Although I don't watch it I have seen Susan Boyles maiden performance on britains got talent. It is very much a television highlight of recent years?Although I would have to say that the likes of Simon Cowell and Pete Waterman,(who he worked for), have never done anything positive for the music industry but that's another story.

Ad I mentioned yesterday Martin, I still haven't seen line of duty, am out at a prayer meeting tonight, last night I got hooked on BBC parliament and the brexit

amendment debate. It's not stunning television, although some say they should all be stunned, but it is quite interesting to watch events unfold. 

Martin, if you want to start talking heads please do, I've tried but can't work out how to do it? Psycho killers by talking heads is a great song .

Hope you're having a good morning at work.

An Englishman sits down in a French restaurant and when the waiter arrives he says to him have you got frogs legs, the waiter says oui,oh that's good says the Englishman, can you hop over the counter and get me a cheese sandwich?

I had a French girlfriend years ago, we went in a French restaurant in Calais and when we asked for the menu they gave her a beautifully bound menu with gold tassels and gold leaf on the front and gave me a piece of encapsulated card covered in tomatoe sauce. True story. Got nothing against the French though, got nothing against  anyone really.

How do you start a pudding race? Say go!

I'm gone!!

Pete

Gibbo9
Posted by

Hi Martin.

Good luck against the dreaded Spurs tonight, as a true Arsenal supporter obviously I want you to win, as a true Arsenal supporter I obviously don't want Spurs to win anything!

Also, and more importantly, I hope that your appointment goes well tomorrow.

Best Wishes

Pete.

Auldfarrt
Posted by

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the good wishes for both the footie and tomorrow.

I've been a bit quiet today on here. Work this morning, and trying in vain to sort out this bl@@dy PC. It doesn't want to join the broadband link I was using for the last couple of years, all I can get is a WiFi signal which is pretty slow so I'm finding it a bit frustrating to say the least.

I was going to ask you why you want a separate thread set up, I'm happy to try and do it but I was wondering why as opposed to this one. Or do you think that may be a Stage 4 Cancer maybe a bit off putting to others that may wish to contribute, although we did pick up Frank and Brent and I think they are currently clear or in remission - might be wrong.

Have you had a good day or afternoon at least with your daughter. I hope so. How's the river walk negotiations going? 

Anyway I think tea (or dinner or call it what you will is ready, so I better scoff that before the footie. I can then blame the footie or the tea for indigestion.

Take care

Martin

Gibbo9
Posted by

Hi Martin

Thanls, I had a lovely afternoon with my daughter.

I can feel your frustration with your internet problems. Can't say I understand it, am perilously ignorant with all that Stuff, I say perilously because something tells me I should understand it to progress as a human being in this day and age but It's too impersonal for me. That said, I do go on the Macmillan website do here is me being a hypocrite.

It must be like folks in late Victorian times felt with the advent of the telephone, I'm stuck in the nineteen seventies.

Am happy to leave things as they are if you don't want to start a new thread. I think Frank and Bremt are doing rather well and long may it continue.Dunno why O wanted to change it from stage 4 oesophagul cancer to be honest.

Best Wishes

Pete

Auldfarrt
Posted by

Hi Pete.

I thought I'd give you an update on today's appointment with the oncologist. Unfortunately, it wasn't the senior consultant oncologist I saw last time but one of her henchmen.

The CT scan has shown that the cancer in my oesophagus has not grown at all since last time (that's the good news) but the cancer is now showing in more lymph nodes than previously (the bad news). 

The echo-cardiogram shows that my heart is at 65% which apparently is very good (I thought 100% would be very good) and therefore I should be OK to have the Herceptin. Another bit of good news.

I laboured the point about the hernia whether it can and should be repaired before of after chemo. He said that it would need about a month to six weeks for the body to recover from such an operation. Apparently the NHS waiting list for the op. is around 5 months which would basically be the other side of the chemo. I asked him what about a private repair (if it wasn't too pricey) before chemo. He said then that he wasn't sure and would need to speak to the surgeon. The surgeon turns out to be the guy who would have done my cancer operation if the bloody thing had stayed in the oesophagus, so he'll give a ruling as to the timing of a hernia repair, or indeed if a hernia repair is actually advisable. The henchman said he'd phone me in the next 24 hours to let me know the plan.

I signed the consent for chemo on the understanding that I can delay it if needs be, and indeed stop it totally if the mood so takes me. I then had a blood test to check on my genetic make up to double check the drugs they are planning to use as well as the strength of the dosage. 

So just waiting for a phone call now to see what the plan is.

Anyway, off out to the pub shortly for a bite to eat with my long suffering wife (she's pretty good to be honest) and might just have a sherbet or three. Then work in the morning.

A bit of a mixed bag of a meeting really, but getting there.

Take care

Martin

p.s. bloody Spurs. Still it's only one and it's a damn sight better than last year against Liverpool.

Gibbo9
Posted by

Hi Martin

Thanks for writing.

Does sound like a bit of a mixed bag, don't understand, with you and me how we are not curable, in this day and age when they are exploring the surface of Mars.

Gonna write to you in more detail later, am currently waiting to be picked up, alas not by a woman but by my 69 year old mate. My days of picking up women, I mean that in a very respectfiul way are well and truly over.

Thanks for giving me an update Martin, Been thinking about you all day and hoping for good news

Will get back to you later

Best wishes my friend, enjoy your sherbets

Pete

Shanney70
Posted by

Hi Martin 

oncologists visits always seem to be a mixed bag of good and bad. Herceptin has such a good write up, I do hope it all goes well for you. My husband had his Herceprin today they said it would be 2 hours but then they decided because he had no reaction it could be given in 30 minutes, tomorrow is the long all day 8 hours of chemo for him tomorrow, he doesn’t mind it and he has limited side effects (except his hands feet syndrome from session 3 that has all cleared up) then an echocardiogram Friday. 

When does the venture start for you ?!? 

Cath 
Auldfarrt
Posted by

Hi Cath,

I'm told it'll be 3-4 weeks before kick-off unless they decide they can do something about this hernia, we'll see.

I'm glad things are going well with your husband, I hope it goes that well with me. 

Did he have an echo-cardiogram before he started with the herceptin, or is he just having one now to check there not too much impact on the heart from the herceptin?

Take care and keep me posted.

Martin

Gibbo9
Posted by

Hi Martin.Hi Cath.

Cath, good luck to your ex-husband with all that he is going through, I had the hand foot thing in my second cycle of chemo before my op. Couldn't walk and ended up in hospital for about 7 days if I remember correctly. Anyway, they cut the strength of the chemo by 10 per cent, I was alright after that

Martin, good to see you have decided to give the chemo a go. You mentioned there is a 4-6 week recovery from the hernia? Presumably then if you had the hernia op first the chemo would start another month after the hernia op? Is it ok for uyou to wait that long to start the chemo? Still, it is good new that they have decided that you can go ahead with the chemo and it is good that you are going ahead on the basis that you can stop any time?

I wanted to ask you something. Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting pains in my pubic bone when I finish urinating.Also, my back passage don't feel right,sorry Cath, feels like trapped wind. I haven't passed any blood anywhere but am wondering if the cancer has moved into the/

bladder area. Are these symptoms possible signs of an enlarged prostate?,I have suffered from IBS for years and have had similar symptoms before but not as bad and this is going on too long for it to be IBS I think. As you know , I have a scan next week and oncologist on the 23rd so maybe the scan will pick up something untoward?Just wondered what you think?tl

Regarding the Spurs game, I never saw it but would still view City as favourite to progress?Its not a gimme though and sorry but Man City did look beatable against Brighton.My mate the Wolves supporter was very disappointed at that result but thought Wolves deserved it in the end.

Well the walk is going ahead at 2 o clock today so O need to sort something to wear out.

Best Wishes to you both

Pete

Shanney70
Posted by

Hi Martin and Pete 

pete I would say contact your nurses to see what they think could be your medication. It could be your lymph nodes !! There are lots in the pubic area 

Martin he didn’t have the echocardiogram before he started not sure why not but back here tomorrow. 

Currently sitting having chemo Luis always wants to laugh and joke with everyone but he has to remember not everyone here wants to laugh and joke 

Cath 
Gibbo9
Posted by

Hi Cath.

will do that, got blood tests next Tuesday with nurse

so will mention it next week.

No not everyone does want to talk, laugh or joke on chemo, sorry to say this but I was probably one of the more somber individuals!

Hope your ex is coping ok.

Best Wishes

Pete

Shanney70
Posted by

Left him there for a couple of hours listening to Roy Keane biography  , he was laughing so much listening to it he ended up having everyone laughing !! 

He will cause mayhem there !!

emotionally he is so much better, he keeps telling me all the things he can’t do now he has cancer - he then slips in with cooking, cleaning, washing up lol!! 

The joys !! 

Cath 

Cath 
Auldfarrt
Posted by

Hi Pete,

I think I mentioned that the henchman was going to talk to the surgeon about a hernia repair. Well I got a phone call this morning to set up an appointment with the surgeon on Monday afternoon to discuss the pros and cons of having the repair done now. I suspect that they will recommend I wait, which to be honest is where we got to after a couple of sherbets . If it’s spreading through my lymphatic system, it may be best to start chemo sooner rather than later as there must be an increased chance of the lymph nodes infecting other organs, and I don’t want that. Anyway we’ll see on Monday.

To be honest Pete, with the prostate issues, my problems revolves around the strength of my stream which weakened over time until I couldn’t go and ended up being catheterised. I didn’t have any pain other than the need to go and not being able to. The other symptom was going very frequently. The first test is always the finger test and then a blood test to check your PSA level. I suspect the scan will identify whether the cancer’s got in there.

I was going to say before that if you want a new thread set up I’m quite happy to try and do it. 

Enjoy your walk Pete. Glad it’s finally happening.

Take care 

Martin

Auldfarrt
Posted by

Hi Cath,

Pleased to hear he’s in good spirits, you need that I believe, to help you through. Although I can understand some folk being miserable gits, like Pete (lol - only having a bit of fun Pete). I’m not sure how I’ll be, I’ find out soon enough.

Must admit I’ve never thought of Roy Keane as being funny. I thought if you laughed at him, you got thumped or a prawn sandwich thrown at you.

Men can use all sorts of excuses to get out of jobs - lol. I know I’ve tried quite a few of them, including selective deafness.

Anyway Cath, enjoy the time. Sounds like you’ve still got strong feelings for him.

Take care, and hope the next few days are OK.

Martin