Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

partner just diagnosed

lbsd
Posted by

Hi my Partner has just been diagnosed with gastric oesophageal cancer with secondary Liver cancer. as you can imagine this came as a shock since the symptoms were the same as gall stones. These symptoms only started the week before Christmas and we were told the news a week ago. 

is there anyone who has been in this situation that can offer any advice. 

thank you 

Jen0112
Posted by

Hi there, my mum was diagnosed with the same as your partner in November 2017. I can so remember the dark and gut wrenching feeling those first few weeks after diagnosis so I’m very sorry. Have you been told what the plan is? I am very pleased to advise that my mum responded brilliantly to the treatment, and whilst she has been classed as incurable, there is very little cancer showing left in her scans. She gets scanned every 3 months, and we get the results on this coming Wednesday. It never gets any easier. Happy to share some of our experiences, if you would like. For now, all I can say is hang in there, it gets a little easier when a plan is in place.

lbsd
Posted by

Hi thank you for your reply. We never got as far as seeing what the plan would be as my partner passed away a week after being diganoised. 

I am still in shock but wanted to thank you for replying 

BrentS
Posted by

Oh my word!

i can’t begin to imagine how you must be feeling. 

There are no words of comfort I can offer except to say there will be people out there feeling your pain. I hope (in vain I think) that sharing in your pain it is, in some way, lessened.

Counting the days, making every day count.

Brent

Mumofmuggles
Posted by

I am so sorry for you loss - how utterly shocking,mand heartbreaking! 

Nat

Nat
Tinkerbell163
Posted by

Hi there

I have just stumbled across your post wanting to offer so advise and then saw your update. I know it’s not the same but I’m 25 and I’ve just lost my dad to cancer he was diagnosed 2 months prior to leaving us. 

The pain is really hard, but as sad as it is fill your hours with planning and organising the funeral as a distraction. I’m finding it tough but in a way when I hear of people battling cancer for a long time maybe less time in pain is better? I know there is no better to this situation but you have to sometimes tell yourself it’s going to get easier.

I really am sending you my love and hoping you know she’s at peace no pain now. 

Xx 

Jen0112
Posted by

I am so very sorry for your loss. 

Amyc99
Posted by

Really sorry to hear this. We lost my Dad, 58, to the very same, in September. It still doesn’t feel real. It’s such a terrible thing. 

Sending love xxx

Sunshine87
Posted by

I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling right now.

I am in a bad place right now, my dad responded well to radio and chemo intense before Christmas and we were all set for surgery to be told this week it has spread. I am absolutely petrified and really struggling so my heart goes out to you, please take care of yourself x

LilacCandy
Posted by

My mum was diagnosed with this two weeks ago and we were looking at an operation but the PET scan last week showed it had spread to bone. I am shocked and upset too, just trying to get my head round the implications of chemo as she can get very confused sometimes. Dad is frail and recovering from bladder cancer. I wonder how we are all going to cope

Hope they can do something for your dad x