Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Newly diagnosed Oesophagus cancer

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Hannah

How wonderful to hear some positive news of your dad i too am hoping with all hope that i wake up to the same good news that they have removed it all !

I have done some homework on whats to be expected but this site i think helps far more hearing other peoples experiences its real people telling you how it is if that makes sense !

I have a cross trainer at home that i am using every other day that certainly gets me out of breath after twenty minutes the i had been given the breathing devise from the hospital to use daily so i am keeping up with that, i will do and listen to anything the experts tell me to do as long as i can come out of this with some of my life back and be able to enjoy it. Just as your dad is doing.

Thank you for your well wishes hopefully we catch up again when I've come through the other side.

Bev xx

Zappaman
Posted by

Beverly, take a lipsil or lip balm of some sort, you are not allowed to drink for a few days and your lips start to crack. Also if you don't mind could you show a family member or friend how to post here just to give us an update. You certainly won't feel like it or be able to for a few days. Good luck and kind regards Frank.

Dthompson1
Posted by

We have had to fight to get a diagnosis for months drs fobbing her off with indigestion eventually referred to gastroenterologist who then referred her for an endoscopy which had a. 12 week wait . We contacted pals and surprise got an appointment within 3 weeks , The gastro dr should have classed her as urgent . She has been diagnosed with esophagus cancer and today she has just had a pet scan waiting for results now to se if it’s spread or what stage we are at . I thought suspected cancer should be seen within 2 weeks ! 

Silverfox65
Posted by

Well remembered Frank

I'd also suggest IF they can they let you have the swab/ sponge type product to dab your lips with water 

Best of Luck Bev - we will all be rooting for you x

Zappaman
Posted by

Yes Peter you're right I remember getting an ice cube stuck on a pink sponge to lick and sook on. Bliss ! How are you doing now? Well I hope. Kind regards Frank.

Silverfox65
Posted by

Ha Ha, yes felt the best 'drink' of my life at the time.

So far so good thanks Frank. Similar to you , take every day as it come, try to keep a positive mind set, go to the gym 4-5 times a week - mainly running/ rowing / cross trainer i.e. cardio vascular circa 30 mins , and actually feel fitter than I have in years having shed more than 3 stone in weight vs were I was over 2 years ago 

I'm back to work pretty much full time, traveled to the US last week for business. I will never be able to 'sample' food in the same way - those plates are huge ....but I can eat almost anything - in moderation i.e. smaller portions more frequently ....but much more varied than I ever imagined I'd be able to post op.

I will be back in the tube for a  CT scan check up Friday ....so fingers crossed (the last scan showed a tiny granular nodule on my right lung ....circa 1mm in size...my oncologist assured me he thinks not unusual and hopefully nothing to worry about ...but wanted to keep an eye on it so to speak ) For now I feel so fortunate and lucky to be here and able to help others where I can.

All the best 

Pete

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Frank

Thank you for the tip i have been to Boots this morning and bought one. Hopefully my husband will post on here for me as would definitely want to keep all you well wishers informed.

Take Care xx

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Silverfox

Thank you i am overwhelmed with the support.

xx

Nick A
Posted by

We are all thinking of you, hope you are doing something nice today/tomorrow to try and take your mind off it all.  

Nick A
KevRover
Posted by

Hi Bev, just want to wish you best of luck for tomorrow, I will be thinking of you.

Hopefully before too long you will be back at home recovering and adjusting. Don't rush that by the way, take your time!

As the guys on here have said, that sponge with the cold water is the best drink you'll ever have, though you are not supposed to actually drink it, just rub it on your lips, and I remember being scolded by the nurse for swallowing before I'd had the swallow test 4 days post-op (this ensures that the new join between your stomach and oesophagus is healed, with no leakage)

I, too, had my Op on a Friday,was out of HDU and up on the ward for the Monday and actually discharged the following Saturday.

Looking forward to the updates, take care Bev xxx

Kev