Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

Newly diagnosed Oesophagus cancer

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Robby

I hope you don't mind me contacting you i am fairly new to the online community and i have come across your journey albeit a little late on....i have literally been diagnosed with the same staging on my cancer and have been through the chemo and am faced with the surgery on January 18th.

Can i ask how your surgery went and what your recovery was like ?

I am still getting my head around all of this and now and reading your post is quite a comfort with no truer words spoken.

Kind Regards

Bev18

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

You may not be aware but this thread was started in 2017 and looking at Robby's activity he hasn't posted for 10 months so you may not get a reply.

It would probably be better to start your own post in the group by clicking on 'Start A Discussion'. However, you'll need to join first. To do that scroll to the top of the page and choose 'Join This Group'.

Wishing you all the best for your upcoming surgery

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Bev18
Posted by

Thank you Latchbrook

I did think it would be a long shot given the date !

Yes i am already a member and have had some great feed back its all very nerve racking though so sharing everyone's experience goes a long way to helping such a difficult time.

Thank you getting in touch.

xx 

latchbrook
Posted by

I've double checked your profile but you're not a member of any groups yet. To take a look at that information click here.

You don't need to be a member of a group to respond to existing posts but you do to be able to start your own post. I'm glad that you've had some useful feedback and I agree that being able to share other people's experiences helps.

Best wishes

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Latchbrook

Oops still finding my way around thank you.

xx

latchbrook
Posted by

No problem

Nick A
Posted by

Hi Bev, I was diagnosed T3N1M0 last summer.  Had chemo in Sept and Oct and surgery in Nov.  I think your op is in a couple of weeks?  Try not to worry too much about it, the care will be great.  Do take what exercise you can between now and then. Feel free to ask me any questions.  

Nick A
Bev18
Posted by

Hi Nick

Thank you for getting in touch and yes my operation is scheduled for the 18th Jan I have a meeting tomorrow with the surgeon but it would be good to hear from yourself as to what I’m in for !.....my nerves are shot to bits and I’m crying constantly when I think of it all and how much my family are worrying.

I am doing my best with the exercising but it’s a bit of catch up as the chemo wiped me out completely then Christmas got in the way far too much over indulgence.

I am fairly fit not overweight and try to keep active with work and day today living. This has floored me completely I think I’m still in shock and being carried along with it !

When I read some peoples experiences of the operation it scares the life out of me.

Kind Regards

Bev18

Silverfox65
Posted by

Hello Bev,

Good luck with your op on the 18th . 

Like you I was quite nervous ahead of mine until a good friend of mind suggested I ' would know nothing about it' ....how true that was and it really settled me ahead of this surgery.

I was diagnosed T3N2M0 on first diagnosis and T2N1M0 pre op following ECX Chemo.

My full story is here ;

https://myoesophagealcancerjourney.wordpress.com

The words are mine and the graphics by my wonderful daughter - together we wanted to do something to help others who may embark on a similar journey as I/ we knew nothing of this disease before I was diagnosed.

It's a long journey , made somewhat easier by a positive mind set and the love and support of family and friends - many here are a brilliant help and insight too.

Recovery cannot be rushed, take it at your own pace. It's major surgery but they know what they are doing - listen to all the professional advice and please ask as may questions as you wish.

Best Wishes

Peter

Nick A
Posted by

Dear Bev18,

It is totally natural to be nervous!  This is major surgery and that, plus being on the cancer journey, is scary stuff.  They are only doing the op because they know you can handle it.  We cried a lot before it too (and some since).  My psychologist has told me she would be worried if we were not crying.

Exercise really is key between now and then.  Walking is just fine - how many steps can you manage?  I’d also advise you to practice standing up,from sitting down, only using your legs.  That will be very beneficial post op.

Let me know what else I can tell you or how I can help; ask anything!

Nick

Nick A
Nick A
Posted by

Ps you can google nickscancerdiary for my story too xx

Nick A
HCLS
Posted by

Hi Bev

Your post popped up on my emails and I had to reply.

I am sure you are more than aware of the logistics of the operation but I wanted to tell you a couple of good things. I honestly think positive thoughts really help. I also agree with Nick that exercise is key. My dad brought an exercise bike and used it during chemo, when he could and he also used it to help him get fit after his operation.

Dad was 76 when he had his operation, four years ago now this April. My dad is absolutely living life to the full.

My dad said that the feeling when he awoke from the operation knowing the cancer had gone was amazing.

Make sure you do the breathing exercises after the operation!

Good luck and take care

Hannah x x

Zappaman
Posted by

Hi Beverly, be positive and have a sense of humour. I was a smoker for about 45 years and I wasn't super fit. I came through it all ok and I am now just over 2 years post surgery and enjoying life. Ask anything you want, good luck and kind regards Frank.

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for getting in touch it really is good to hear from others on this same journey.

I haven't had my results for the staging from my last bout of chemo i am really hoping i get a similar result to yourself as all i did get told at Christmas via the telephone was that it HAD shrunk and i was to ' go away and have a good Christmas and get ready for the op'  i was so emotional just hearing that that i basically ran with it as it had been the only bit of positive news since my diagnosis in Aug.

It was great to follow your journey an have more of an insight for what is to come i feel it is helping me immensely. 

I am working right up till the day before purely to keep my mind active and give myself a different focus.

I am just hoping and praying that when i wake i am given the news that this horrible alien invasion in my body has been got rid of !!

Thank you and hopefully we will speak again after the op

Kind Regards

Bev

Bev18
Posted by

Hi Frank

It certainly helps to have a sense of humour my family and friends have been wonderful in keeping my spirits up and although this has brought many dark moments and lots of tears at bedtime and when i let myself give in to it  I try and turn it all back around to positive thinking.

My father has beaten cancer twice (skin cancer and bladder cancer) with a very positive attitude but unfortunately i lost my beautiful mum (Dec 17) to liver cancer (9 weeks from diagnosis) it is all a bit too much for all my family to be going through again but then this illness doesn't discriminate does it.

Thank you for your well wishes and others on this site that have given me advise it is helping me come to terms of whats ahead, i just have to take each day at a time, its a life changer for sure but I'm this far along my journey and coped so far. I'm going to do my very best to get through the rest of this journey.

Kind Regards

Bev