Gullet (oesophagus) cancer

A support group for anyone affected by gullet cancer (also known as oesophageal cancer) to come together, share experiences and ask questions.

'We've been thrown a curve ball'

Joolsg
Posted by

Hi all,

Ever heard the expression 'too good to be true'. Well I must admit I was thinking that about Mum as we were maintaining her weight with yummy shakes and soup ice cream and custard and she was happy with that and taking it all in her stride as she has everything so far. Her first cycle of chemo was nearly done with no side effects so far and then.... Sunday  I arrived to find she hadn't kept even water down since the night before,I rang the helpline and I had to take her in to hospital. She's still in on a drip and she's having a stent fitted today. She's been warned it will be painful but I think she thinks it'll be worth it just to be able to eat some actual food for the first time in weeks. My main fear was that her chemotherapy wouldn't be possible but thankfully it'll be resumed next week. I just feel so sorry for her as it'll be the first time she's had to suffer any pain since she was diagnosed bless her. Anyway onwards and upwards.

Love to all

Jools x

frankie
Posted by

Hi Jools,

I'm so sorry to hear your Mum has had a setback as she was doing so well and hope all goes well today. It's a reminder to take each day as it comes. My hubby starts the 2nd round tomorrow and bloods were ok yesterday but we did get one positive outcome from the oncologist. My hubby  told the doctor how the treatment had made him feel so tired and overall pulled him down, depressed and snappy and she has reduced the  strength of  all the chemo. The dosage is decided on weight and height and they give the full whack but everyone reacts differently so hopefully this will take the edge off  while still being just as effective. As the doctor said you do not need the treatment to take away the quality of life if they can help by adjusting it.

Will be thinking of your Mum today,

Best wishes

Frankie

Joolsg
Posted by

Hey Frankie

Thanks for the reply, Mum has had her stent fitted now and was in a lot of pain with it yesterday and they gave her some morphine to take the edge off. The sad thing is she hasn't had a bit of pain since being diagnosed and she's suffering because of this, it's very frustrating for her. I've just rang the ward and she's had a cup of tea this morning so she's over the moon. She'll be home today so she'll be gradually allowed to eat more so it'll be all worth it in the end. Sorry to hear your hubbys been a bit low, that's the nature of it sadly, I hope the lowered chemo makes him a bit brighter. Mum started in a low dose as her kidney function was poor and she was doing ok on it until this happened, she has had to have a break but hopefully she'll continue with a bit stronger dose next week so fingers crossed. Anyway take care, love to you and your husband, thinking of you both,

Jools x