Hello!

• 28 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Just joined the group. My husband has been diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer and we are still on the hamster wheel of tests and scans. We have an operation date now - so I'm wondering about caring for him when he comes home. I wonder if anyone can point me to a good source of recipes for meals I can puree that are tasty and cheering to get him eating (when he can)??  

• Hello liz00, I had the Ivor Lewis back in late January. Getting your husband up and moving is important, I found I got stronger everyday, started introducing more solid foods after about 3-4 weeks with the night feeds 10 hrs a night. 5months on am eating basically everything in smaller amounts. Tell your husband to keep on going, it’s tough at first. But believe me it does get better. Onwards and upwards, all the best Haybag.

• Hi haybag, can I ask what you mean by the night feeds, is this the feeding tube? Everything I’ve read says that people go home with this for a couple of weeks but I didn’t? I had my op on 7th June and came home 8 days later but no feeding tube? I am glad as probably wouldn’t have wanted this for any longer than I had it in for (7 days).  I’m not eating much at all though each day although some days are better than others, I’m just not hungry or have indigestion after eating a tiny amount of soft foods. Again, not all the time, think it’s trial and error.

How long did it take you to get your appetite back? I’ve just been for my longest walk yet since op (2 miles), and am feeling slightly peckish now as know exercise helps. Was very active before op.  Thank you 

• Hi it's 10 weeks now and we are in Crete for a week it's a very slow recovery but eating little and often is the key does your husband have a night feed in? The mood thing is normal you have to go by what his body is telling him I would contact your doctor if the diahoria don't stop please keep in touch he will get there my husband is starting his chemotherapy in 2 weeks x

• Hi just read your reply.  I wondered if you could recommend an insurance company.   My husband has had the operation 7 weeks ago and we have a few weeks before he starts chemotherapy again and are looking to get away for a few days.  But are unsure what insurance to get.  Thanks 

• Hi we used admiral 

• Hi Liz i really recommend a soup maker! They are genuis machines! and you can literally add things as they are and make his favourite soups! You can add fat to them and protein to them too so he has a bit more of what he needs. sending you all the love x 

• Hi browndog, yes exactly that. Feeding tube for about a month/ 6 weeks. 10hrs night feed -slowly reduced down to 3hrs in the end. Have always done a lot of exercise (even during chemotherapy) found my apitite changed a little, but managed to eat little and often. Been lucky don’t really get any indigestion or reflux. Appetite is better now after 3/4 months. Chemotherapy does affect your appetite especially with second round of treatment. All the best Haybag.

• Thanks haybag, it wasn’t really affected by the chemo first time round, it’s after the op. I didn’t come home with a feeding tube. It has been better the last 2 days but just tried a mild curry from the Indian and it was spicier than I wanted and I think the chicken has given me instant indigestion, only managed a few small mouthfuls and I did cut it up small!! Have to try that again in a couple of months. Good job I hardly eat any meat or I would be missing it terribly! I’m glad you’re feeling better after about 5 months, gives me hope that there’s an end in sight! Thanks 

• Hi Liz,  is there anything he can take for the diarrhoea? Must be awful, - I am having the opposite as in I’m only going every few days. 

it does all get you down at times as it’s such an adjustment especially the whole eating process. Im not even very hungry and am getting indigestion a lot. As from what haybag just said it will get better, we’ve just got to be patient!

Are there any support groups your husband can join? Im going to my local one at the hospital I had the operation on Friday. Im hoping I can be further reassured listening to other people who are further down the line than me.

hope things get easier.