Phlegm medications. Some information about myself.

• 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

After I posted asking people about their experiences with phlegm medications, I realised that I hadn't said anything about my condition. I was diagnosed with terminal non-squamous cell cancer in the upper oesophagus last May with a prognosis of six months. (T3/4N3MX) It has spread to my lymph nodes and lungs. There are no suitable treatments apart from palliative. This year would have marked five years being clear of breast cancer. One of life's grim ironies.

I take all foods, liquids and medicines through a PEG tube and am fairly comfortable, with an excellent care team behind me at Homerton Hospital here in North London and St Joseph's Hospice, but the bane of my day-to-day existence is the almost constant production of sticky white phlegm. So far I've tried Hyoscine Butylbromide and Amitriptyline. Neither worked and had serious depressive side-effects.

I have asked on this forum about people's experiences of different feeding tubes and received some extremely useful replies that guided my decision to go for the PEG as apposed to nasal feeding and I'm hoping that some of you have the time to respond this time too. I value this wonderful, supportive group and wish everyone the best journey forward. Much love, Maria 

• Hi again  

I'm sorry to see that despite you posting this message twice nobody from the group has been able to share any experiences with you.

If you are still experiencing this problem, perhaps a chat with your CNS would help. Alternatively, you could post your question in the Ask a Nurse section of the online community or speak to one of the nurses on the Macmillan Support Line. The Support Line is free to call on 0808 808 0000 and is available every day.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Swede,

I am bumping this up again, unfortunately this has often been a subject that we have been short of reply's for, 

Hopefully if we keep bumping it up, someone will get to read it and be able to help you. 

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thank you Lowe'. My Palliative Nurse is paying a home visit this coming Thursday to discuss a different medication. Once I've trialled it I'll post again in case it's useful for anyone else.

• Hi Swede, I am perhaps a little late coming onto your enquiry, I see you have tried Hyoscine Butylbromide I don’t know if this was via a form of Buscopan, I use that but have now been prescribed Hyoscine Patches, you apply them to the rear of the ear, they are very careful prescribing them so you may have to talk with them, the patches are actually for travel sickness!

My phlegm is a double hit due to having a Laryngectomy (neck breather) as well as remission from OS

Hope you find something to help, I know it is a pain of a side effect

Take Care

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Thank you Tony. Sorry to hear about your double hitter. You don't actually say whether the