Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour

Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is a type of brain tumour. If you're suffering from glioblastoma multiforme, or know someone who is, join this support group.

Experience of Sunitinib

Lou S
Posted by

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the drug Sunitinib please? My dad has grade 4 renal cancer spread to his brain and also lungs, although the brain tumour is what the consultant is most concerned about. After having less than 50% removed in an operation and palliative radiotherapy to help with his side effects of the tumour (major right side weakness), the consultant has offered to treat with Sunitinib. He has been very clear it might help slow down the lung tumors but have little effect on the brain tumour, and has very devastating side effects that with lack of mobility may be harder to deal with. It's an ongoing treatment so no real break although 2 weeks on and 1 week off. My dad has to decide between quality of life and quantity of life and although it's completely his decision I feel like I need to explore what others have gone through to understand if it could be an option for him. 

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has kidney cancer which has spread to his brain and lungs. 

I don't have any experience with sunitinib but if you click on the link it'll take you to the information that Macmillan has about it, including side effects.

As this drug is used to treat kidney cancer I think you're most likely to find people with experience with it in that group. I can see from your activity that you have posted there as well and you have had a reply. If you haven't seen it yet clicking here will take you to it. If you type 'sunitinib' into the search bar in the kidney cancer group you can then read older posts where people have mentioned the drug.

You may also find it helpful to join the secondary brain tumours and secondary lung cancer groups as you can then chat to others about their experiences with secondary cancer.

If you want to join either or both of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the pages that open. You can then introduce yourself or post a question after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you feel up to it, it would be really useful if could pop something about your dad's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?