Lack of apetite

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hello, my brother has been diagnosed with GLioblastoma stage 4, frontal left lobe.  He had surgery and  finished radio and chemotherapy 2 weeks ago. At the moment having 4weeks off, before starting 6 months oral chemotherapy. 2 weeks after surgery had blood clot in left leg and taking injectable blood thinner. 

the only side effect is that he lost apetite. We are doing our best to make him eating properly, but since surgery he has lost 8 kg. Does anyone have some advice in how to improve his apetite? 

• HI Maia

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis and all that you have been through over the past few months. 

My husband was diagnosed GBM4 in Sept 2020 and like your brother had surgery followed by the 6 weeks of treatment. He too lost a fair bit of weight in that time - probably about 6-7 kg He didn't lose his appetite but he did go off certain foods eg he went off coffee, creamy things. He went through a phase of only wanting crunchy food too. The CNS said it was likely a side effect of the treatment and it passed in time. 

If you're concerned though I'd suggest talking to the CNS or doctor first, even perhaps try reaching out via your GP. 

My husband's eating well these days but he hasn't regained the weight. He has stabilised about 5-6kg lighter than he used to be, He's skinny at the best of times as he's a marathon runner but is now only about 63/64 kg.

I checked the main website and found this link that may help Eating problems - Macmillan Cancer Support

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 for advice - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

hope this has helped. 

Sending you  love and light and hugs.

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Dear Wee Me, thank you for your kind reply.
    Lack of apetite is one if side effects of the treatments, luckily there were not other ones, much worse. 
    we are trying everything, trial and error, different kind of meals and textures. It’s changing over the time. Now it’s phase of  more liquid food. 
    we have been advised to clean the thong with sodium  bicarbonate . Will see if it works.

Hopefully, when the effect of radiotherapy is over, the things should get better!