Dad aged 75 diagnosed GMB Stage 4

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi

I say diagnosed but actually we are still waiting on the results of his biopsy but we have been told by 2 different hospitals that this is what he has.  He was taken in 10 days ago for suspected stoke but after CT scan we were told it was a brain tumor, after MRI we were told GMB Stage 4 and dad was transferred to another hospital for brain biopsy.  We get the results and any treatment options on Wednesday and I have my dad home now.  As my dad lives alone and is very nervous around hospitals, I am worried that he won’t cope with treatment.  This has been such a shock and as many have said a nightmare rollercoaster.

Honey x

• HI Honey352

welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about your dad's health. Waiting for results is torture so I feel your pain.

My husband (now 52) was diagnosed GBM4 in early Sept 2020 so I can relate to what you are going through.  The hospital skipped the biopsy stage and went straight to surgery to debulk the tumour. Due to where it was in the brain, they were unable to remove it all. He went through 6 weeks of oral chemo/ radiotherapy a few weeks after the surgery. He cope very well with the treatment but by week 4 was really really tired. 14 months on though and he's still with us and still able to run (He was/is a marathon runner)

This journey is a rollercoaster. Nothing prepares you for hearing words like brain tumour spoken aloud. I hope you get some better news when you get the biopsy results through or at the very least an indication of what to expect. Please make sure that you take your time to ask the medical team any questions you many have, no matter how trivial they may seem. I was advised to write the questions down ahead of the appointment so that if I felt overwhelmed during the appointment I had my notes to refer to. In those early appointments there's so much information thrown at you when you are in an emotional state.

Please make sure you take time for yourself too. It's a shock for all concerned and you're going through your own journey processing this. it takes time and it takes as long as it takes. Personally I find going for a walk and also journaling helpful. Over the last year or so I have drawn a lot of support from this group and also (+) Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community. There's always someone there who "gets it" and who is on hand to offer a virtual hug when needed.

Also remember Macmillan Support Services offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available

We also have our Ask an Expert section should you have a more medical/technical question, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you a huge hug. Stay positive. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much for your reply, glad to hear some positive results for your husband and hope he keeps well, thank you for the advice too I’ll look up the other forums you mentioned.  The uncertainty is so difficult to cope with at every stage but I’ll need to try to take 1 day at a time and enjoy the good days, I’m feeling totally out of my depth with what to ask so I’ll start making a list of questions.

take care, lots of love xx