Mums Glioblastoma stage 4

• 60 replies
  • 28 subscribers

After thinking Mum 80 year old Mum had the early onset of dementia, things got extremely worse where Mum struggled to remember her name and found it difficult to put a sentence together as she was unable to find the words. I took her to A&E getting her in by saying that I thought that she had had a stroke. An emergency CT scan showed that Mum had a brain tumour, the next days were appointments and medication, putting Mum on steroids allowed the swelling to reduce and allow her to speak again. 

one week later she was been taken to the theatre to remove the tumour, the surgeon rang me that night to say that the operation had gone really well. Mum was able to leave hospital a few days later and although she walked with a stick, I had my Mum back. We came home in the car and talked about all sorts, I felt as though I had won the lottery. Devastation hit a week later when the surgeon told us that the tumour was cancerous...people live through cancer though my Mum is a strong lady, our queen, undefeated...cancer or (Charley) as she likes to call it is not going to be the end of her. 

A few more days later I took Mum to Christies where they delivered the worst news, with treatment Mum has twelve months without it is 6 months, Mum has opted for the treatment. 

I'm so strong in front of my Mum but my world is crumbling around me and I feel so lost, my beautiful Mum, how can this happen...I don't want this to happen, I want my Mum!!

• Hi there,

Keep strong, you know you can do it for your Mum. I find having a good cry in the shower where no one can hear me helps. You’ll find the strength again to battle this awful situation. There are people here who will listen and give someone a call too to talk through your feelings.

Sending hugs.

• Please can someone give me advice. My Mum is. now in her second week of Chemo & radiotherapy and i’m so concerned that it is the wrong decision. She looks dreadful and she has gone from being so cheerful to being very quiet and subdued. She has developed a phobia against needles and although I arranged for the therapeutic nurse to see her but as her veins are so tiny it always takes them several tries before they are successful. I always hold her hand and talk her through it but seeing mum in so much pain is like being stabbed in the heart. She’s fighting with every bit of strength she has but I really don’t think that she knows it may only buy her months. i’m so worried about her, my heart breaks. However, if it works then it will be worth it won’t it? I rang the nurse and told her i was worried about mum and she said, 80 year olds don’t usually have both treatments and things will settle down. i feel so helpless. 

• Hi there.  I don’t know what to say as we’re a week behind you as Dad starts his RT this afternoon and possibly chemo if his bloods are ok. I’ve been taking inspiration from you and your Mum. She must be a tough bird. The human body is so strong to keep on fighting through this awful treatment. Perhaps think of it as only 5 or more sessions to get through. Then your Mum can rest and you can make a fuss of her. Like you, I’m wondering what the outcome of this will be and will it be worth it. We want to plan to do lots of lovely things together with our family but what if he’s not up to any of it? 
    Keep in touch and I really hope things start to improve soon.

Take care x

• Hi there.  Been thinking about you.   How is your Mum doing now and how are you? 
    Hugging 

• Hello, 

Thank you so much for asking. Mum has her last radiotherapy session tomorrow and it can’t come quick enough. She has had such a poor quality of life for the past few weeks, she has done nothing but sleep and appointments. Well almost, she did do an experience day at the zoo yesterday feeding the giraffes. the look on her face was priceless, it completely wiped her out though. 

She will now have a four week break from both the C & R and then begin the chemo again. I had a difficult conversation with her today and she has said that if the chemo has the same effect she will just go on steroids. 

She is so strong, she remains positive and always has a smile on her face even when she’s having such a bad day. I love her so much. 

How is your Dad doing? I do hope things are going well for him and I hope you are doing well too. I know it’s so very hard. 

Big cuddles to you both. 

• Hi there,

Good to hear from you and that today is the last day. Hope your Mum gets lots of well earned rest for the next few weeks. She sounds an amazing woman. It is so draining going up and down to RT everyday and we’re only the second week in now. The quickest time we’ve been there and back is 3 hours. Think we could do the driving in our sleep now Joy

7 sessions to go for Dad!  He’s doing really well and just a little tired, My Mum has him doing chores in the garden to keep him active.  Thankfully the chemo hasn’t really had much of an ill effect as yet. We pray that it won’t. Apart from a bit wobbly at times, he looks far too well to have RT. 

Take care of yourselves and speak soon.

• Hello, 

How is your dad doing? Has he now finished radiotherapy? 

I hope you are doing okay and managing to find some time for yourself. 

• Hello,

Thank you for asking. I feeling like I’ve been having a mini breakdown at times being back in the office. But yes,  he finished RT and chemo last week and has done so well. Had a couple of sicky days and feeling a little tired, not at all what we were expecting though. He is amazing. I clippered off what was left of his hair today (he’s always been follickly challenged) and we all had a good laugh. I really love those special moments together. We have done a lot of crying but we’ve also laughed so much too. 

How is your Mum and how are you, 

• Hello,
    I’m so glad the rt sessions have finished. I didn’t like to say at the time but Mum really struggled towards the end of the treatment…it was awful but i’m so glad that your Dad seemed to tolerate it better.
    I asked for Mum to go back on steroids last week as she had declined so much. She is now back on them and feeling lots better.
    We are at hospital next week as she will be starting her chemo again.
    Reading what you have wrote is like i could have wrote it you know. But it is so important to laugh together too.
    i’m sending hugs and prayers. I know everyone will be telling you to look after yourself too as that’s what everyone keeps telling me the same, we do know they are right. Try to look after yourself, we have to keep strong to look after our beautiful parents.  

• Morning. Glad to hear that your Mum is feeling lots better. Best of luck next week with the chemo. I hope it’s not too bad this time as the RT won’t be involved. Is your Mum having just the five days of chemo? We’ve got another two weeks before th hospital appointment so trying to build up Dad’s strength in that time. Sending hugs and prayers to you both too. I’ll check in on you next weekend.

Take care Blush